Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming Computer on a Budget

• Please log in to reply

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hello all,

I am looking to buy a new PC for gaming.

I'm not a super hardcore gamer.

I love to play WoW, BF2, watch movies, mp3s, etc. and am looking for a PC that I will be able to play future PC game releases on without having to upgrade in a couple months.

I am not looking for the best PC, but a low to mid-price (no more than $500-600) and newer in technology than the info I have listed in my signature.

Any thoughts? :whistling:

Edited by Twiztnin223, 28 November 2006 - 09:39 AM.

Advertisements

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Ur fine for awhile. No pt in getting a new rig rite now. Mebe if u buy some more RAM or a 7600 GS things will run smoother

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Well the thing is, I promised my boyfriend my PC for Christmas. So he is getting my old PC.

Here is the one I purchased yesterday, what do you think?

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.0GHz (Bus Speed: 2000MHz; Level 2 Cache: 2 x 512KB )
Memory: 1GB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200)
Hard Drive: 200GB (7200RPM)
CD-Rom: DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe
Graphics: Integrated nVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE 256MB

Edited by Twiztnin223, 29 November 2006 - 09:26 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The new one will be slower at games than your old one was, i would swap the 6600 out of the old one into the new that would et you play the games you want with it and performance gaming wise should be roughly similar to your old machine.

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
What type of pre-built PC (Best Buy, Circuit City) would you suggest to get for gamers rather than the one I bought?

If I could get something that would be better for my games at the same price range, I would take this one back.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
To be honest there are so few, and brands here that i would suggest you dont even have the shops that sell the in the US, here on a budget i would suggest one of the PCs from aldi or lidl cheap shops that have alot of stuff from the continent but you dont have them, and no big brands make cheap computers for gaming.

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Ok Thanks:)

I'll just do what I did with my last Dell. lol Turn it into the AMD that I gave to my boyfriend.

I just needed a new base to start off from. I'll work on the details later.

Thanks for your help!

:whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dell actually make AMD systems now so switching is easy now. Its really hard to find budget PCs that will game because graphics are one of the most expensive parts more than the CPU in most cases, its also the area most people are ignorant in so the stick in something like the 6150 LE which is rubbish but has nice big numbers.