Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

memory problems? not sure

• Please log in to reply

dizzyddd

dizzyddd

• Pip
  • 9 posts
please hep me. recently my computer crashes and turns off by itself, i had a message from windows after i sent an error report saying i need to do memory diagnostics, ive tried this and failed? i just cant work out how to use it. however im not sure thats the problem? my memory is not evan half full i have 73% left. i think the problem has stemmed from how much i download, because every film im trying to download from torrentleach or total torrents, its always jumbled and win rar always says its corrupt. i never had this problem at all a month ago, could this be my u-torrent? or win rar? or is it just my memory? please help if you can many thanks.... :whistling:

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you have antivirus and spyware software? If so, do you keep them updated and do you scan regularly?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I too suspect malware.....but get memtest86+ here...

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

get the precompiled .ISO and burn it as a image to cd...... reboot with it in the CD drive and run the tests for at least 2 hours...no errors then you probably have malware crashing your system...if you do get errors then your RAM is bad and needs to be replaced...
if memtest does not boot you will have to get into your bios and change the boot order to the cd drive first and then the hard drive....

Edited by happyrck, 28 November 2006 - 02:10 PM.

dizzyddd

dizzyddd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
many thanks i will try the memory test and let you know how i get on :whistling:

dizzyddd

dizzyddd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
its not booting? how do i get into the bios and set the drive first? im sure ive done it right this time i burned image iso to disc but nothing happened it rebooted as normal? thanks

dizzyddd

dizzyddd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
get into your bios and change the boot order?????? can anyone tell me how to do this

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What brand computer do you have?

dizzyddd

dizzyddd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
e-s ei302???? not sure. ive only had it 6months shold i take it back? or fix myself its prob somthing simple

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
usually you tap the delete key as soon as you turn it on...tap about once per second until you get to the bios screen...then look for the boot order...make the cd first then the hd drive second

sometimes when you boot on the screen it may say press the F11 or F1 or F2 or some other key for settings...whatever it say press that key...should get to bios