Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Dreaded Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

poppyal

poppyal

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I was online and my system came up with the blue screen that says windows has stopped the system, or something to that effect. The blue screen gave me a reason: "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT". What in the world does that mean? There have been no changes or add-ons to my unit lately. I am using XP.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Look at this Microsoft article and see if it helps: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=291806.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Didn't help much - I went ahead and changed mobos. Was planning that anyway. Thanx.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Didn't help much - I went ahead and changed mobos. .

seems a bit drastic...did it solve your problem...

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Yes, the problem is solved. But now I have another problem. I put that ASUS mobo into another system that has an SATA hard drive. The bios recognizes the drive, but I get a blue stop error when I try to boot. I tried to reinstall XP from the CD and it tells me that there is no hard drive. What the ^%$%* did I do wrong this time?? Guess what? I need help again.
poppyal.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did installing the raid/sata drivers solve the problem? (suggested in Live Chat)

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Yes sir, it sure did. I THINK that I am all set for now as far as computers are concerned.

By the way, I put the MSI mobo in my personal computer. It only has two slots for ram, so I could only use 512. The mobo that trashed had ddr2 sticks in it, so they wouldn't work with either of the systems (ASUS or MSI). But this new MSI is better with 512 of ram than the ASUS was with 1024 of ram. It's actually noticably faster.

Now I need to find a buyer for two sticks of 256 ddr ram and two sticks of 256 ddr2 ram so I can get myself two sticks of 512 ram. Maybe I'll try eBay for that.

Anyway, all is well for now. Thanks for the reply/help again.

poppyal.