Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP System Restore

• Please log in to reply

kirkf

kirkf

• Pip
  • 5 posts
If I do a system restore with a restore point of 7 days ago, will I lose the ITunes that I purchased after this point?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Will I Lose Personal Files?

So what exactly does System Restore do?

Let's start with what it doesn't do...

System Restore WILL NOT remove or modify any personal data files such as word processor documents, spreadsheets, music & photos, web favorites, emails, etc. More specifically, files in the My Documents folder will never be touched. If you are unsure as to whether a file will be affected by System Restore, keep it in that folder. System Restore WILL affect your Windows system settings (the Windows Registry), protected system files, and recently installed software.

While System Restore can be a wonderful tool to get your computer back to a functioning state after a virus or spyware infestation, I strongly recommend that you use it only in such emergencies. If you have installed a program and suspect that it may be causing trouble, always try Add and Remove Programs in Control Panel first. I offer this caution because System Restore is a rather drastic measure. On the few occasions I've used it, System Restore did solve the problem at hand, but some minor things like fonts, wallpaper and desktop settings were altered. It also messed up my Internet Explorer toolbars, even though they were supposedly locked. Things like this (that I did notice) make me wonder if other unexpected or undesired changes were made as well.

http://www.askbobran...em_restore.html

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
And here's the quick answer to your question, kirkf. Any programs installed since the date of the chosen restore point will no longer function in most cases and will have to be re-installed. For that reason, and as a backup precaution in the event of having to re-install Windows, you should always keep at least two copies of any downloaded software, especially when you've paid for it.

Edited by pip22, 29 November 2006 - 02:30 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
With my answer, Bob's in bother if it goes pear shaped, not me :whistling: