Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Address Confusion

• Please log in to reply

Rob Vasquez

Rob Vasquez

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I know this is going to be pretty basic but...

I have a dedicated web server running on a w2k platform in a LAN enviornment. I also need to use this server to host another application which will require its own/seperate IP address. Can this be done?

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I don't know a whole lot about IIS but I would imagine you could do this.

Wondering if a second NIC would do the trick? Statically assign the IP address to the NIC, point a virtual directory to it and ???

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could also set an alternate ip address on the device if you've only got a single NIC...

right click on my network places > properties > choose tcp/ip and click properties > click the advanced button...then add another ip address to the interface...if the two ips aren't on the same subnet..you'll have to add another gateway as well on the same screen

within IIS you'll have to make sure it's configured to use the specific ip that's used for it....instead of using all available ips