Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus or error disconnecting the internet connection

• Please log in to reply

hansmole

hansmole

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ill try to explain this as best i can, so here it goes....

firstly im on dial up, this error doesnt seem to affect me when im on broadband but id rather it not happen any time, seeing as we're getting broadband soon. when im connected to dial up, and only when im connected to dial u,p the computer randomly disconnects from the internet and wont let me connect again. the 2 little computer screens are still on my toolbar but i cant click on them or open the window to either disconnect or reconnect, the sound also fails at this point and the only way ive found to get anything to work again is to reboot the computer. sometimes i get an error message saying theres something wrong with generic host process win32 and that it needs to be closed immediately. but even that doesnt happen that often, the computer just locks up or how ever you want to describe it. i thought it might be win32gael or something but i really have pretty close to no idea of whats going on.

it seems to happen most when im playing world of warcraft but it doesn happen just when surfing too.

thanks in advance if you can help, and ahhh well thanks anyway if you cant :whistling:

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can try this...Keep Alive 1.0

This software emulates internet activity, keeping any internet connection alive. This can be very useful for dialup users, who will automatically get disconnected after a period of inactivity. Originally designed for cellphone dialup use, but can be used with any dialup or broadband connection, which times out after a period of time............get it here...

http://www.freewaref...5_54_23893.html

edpetehar

edpetehar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
It sounds like your bogged down with spyware and adware and you need to clean your registry. Ad-aware is free for personal use and you can get spybot search and destroy free also, the programer for this will accept donations. there are a few websites for spybot and the one i mentioned , it's icon looks like two files with a magnifiying glass in the lower left. you'll see this icon on your desktop after you download. I had to buy the registry cleaner though, very essential. need to run everyday. I bought mine from lavasoft, 3B software. good luck.

hansmole

hansmole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i use zone alarm for virus's and spyware...but isnt that good enough?
ill give that spyware search and destroy a try.

i forgot aswell, sometimes when i click the start bar to turn the computer off or what not when i get 'disconnected', the tool bar and window borders all revert to the old style windows graphics.

Edited by hansmole, 30 November 2006 - 10:40 PM.