Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Boot problem!

• Please log in to reply

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Well, I had a look at these earlier too but didnt understand much of it, went to the ms site but still i was clueless. you can see the System event log's here and the App event log's here

Let me know what you find. thanks

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you may want to remove the new ram and netgear adapter...if your problem goes away...its one of the 2 things causing the problem...if so..put in 1 at a time to find the culprit....

it may also be a IRQ conflict
To view your current IRQ assignments you can open Device Manager.

1. Click on START... click on...CONTROL PANEL.
2. Click on Performance and Maintenance.
3. Click on System.
4. Click on the Hardware tab.
5. Click the DEVICE MANAGER button.

Once you have Device Manager open, select VIEW from the toolbar menu and then click Resources by Type.

Double click on Interrupt Request (IRQ)

The list that appears on your machine will vary depending on the hardware you have.

If you are experiencing problems with a newly installed/configured piece of hardware and the drivers are installed correctly then check to see if it has its own IRQ channel.....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Remove the LAN you installed, first.

happyrck is right on track by what I see in the logs.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I know this is gonna sound ridiculous but how can i remove the lan (driver I'm presuming) if its not in add/remove.

also i'm sorry for taking long to respond but the pc keeps freezing so i have to wait for it to reboot again and again...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Disable the device in Device Manager for the moment.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
guys your loosing me. im not sure what im looking for. which device do i disable, what am i looking for...

also i'd appreciate if you could explain what LAN actually is as i dont hav much understanding on it
Knowledge is power. lol

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Device Manager and look in the list for "Network Adapters"...click the + next to it to expand it. Right click on the network device you installed and choose "Disable". Accept the change. Reboot.

Run the machine a while and see if it still hangs.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
disabling the LAN seems to have stopped the freezing but it now takes ages to shutdown the pc and i am left with no internet connection. Is there any other solutions?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Re-enable the Network Adapter the same way you disabled it.

Go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers for your device, install them, and reboot.

Let us know how it runs after doing this...

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Sorry guys. first, with the new drivers installed i cant seem to connect to my network even though it picks up the signal and its still freezing. another thing is that all this has made the pc a bit slow, when i go to start>shut down it takes ages (up to 4mins) for the confirmation box to appear...

i'm gonna try disable the device overnight and see if its the device altogether.

Advertisements

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I'm glad we've found the problem. It seems as though that the netgear wireless adapter is the cause. The pc ran fine all through the night with the adapter disabled. does this mean I cant use the adapter on my pc or is there another way around this problem?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if its a PCI card.... try moving it to a different slot....

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
If your talking about the Netgear wireless adapter, its not internal its a small external adapter which connects to the pc via the usb.

By the way happyrck is that kurt russel on your pic?

Edited by Zaine7673, 03 December 2006 - 08:19 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I fought with a USB wirless problem for hours ....turned out that you can not plug the power adapter in to surge protector...thats all it was

you might try connecting it to a different usb port and NOT thru a hub...put it on its own ...reboot with it in...
should have asked if it was USB ...way back...sorry.....its probably a IRQ problem....I'm pretty sure that the only thing that can share a IRQ with a usb is PCI steering ...anything else will cause problems...after doing that and still having problems...look in my previous post for how to check for conflicts...

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi Happyrck, I'm not quite understanding what your asking....

The Netgear adapter I have doesnt need to go through a hub its connected via USB (with an extension wire)

Posted Image

I'd appreciate if you could simplify the advice in your last post.