Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Boot problem!

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is it in the slot closest to the processor? Or the one farthest away?

Advertisements

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
closest.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Shut down, move it to the slot farthest away from the processor...start it up. Enter BIOS Setup as it boots (usually by tapping the F1 of Delete key during the first splash screen). Look for a setting to set the BIOS Defaults or Failsafe Defaults...this may be accomplished by pressing the F5 key, but look to be sure. Save any settings you make (F10) and exit BIOS Set up...let the machine continue...does it boot to Windows?

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
yes it boots fine into windows.

Just to let you know i had the netgear adapter disabled earlier, but it hasnt even become about that anymore. the whole comp seems like its struggling to do anything, Happyrck said he was still surprised it was still running with the amount of bad/corrupt drivers.

Edited by Zaine7673, 04 December 2006 - 07:35 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's see if it hangs.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
:whistling: It still freezes.

:blink:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling:

Let's see where happyrck is headed with the drivers and irq settings. He should be back on in a bit.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
okay...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I've reread this thread from the start...you say you have a Presario V5000...that is a laptop with internal wireless so you would not need a usb wireless....

in post 35 wannab1 advised " Right click "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. Do any devices have a yellow ! or ? displayed next to them?"
you reply "funny. it has got a yellow ? next to "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" under "Other Devices."
later you say you have multiple drivers missing....

in post 70 or so you want to know if getting the chipset drivers from there are ok...that link is to a desktop motherboard....
we need to know exactly what we are dealing with...unplug the external wireless ...get everest home ...run it and use print screen or whatever screen capture program you prefer and post PICTURES of the motherboard specs...

http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

if this is a laptop...then go to the manufactures website and get the drivers for your make and model..

of the drivers that you say were not working..one was the memory controller...that will certainly cause system hangs and crashes....
at this point I want screen shots so there can be no typos or misunderstandings..

Edited by happyrck, 05 December 2006 - 09:26 AM.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I'm so sorry. I just reread the whole thread myself and It's my bad. The original thread was for this laptop which wouldnt load into XP. But at the same time My desktop PC was going through the same problem. So I used my Sisters Laptop to post this thread asking for a bit of help and sorted out My laptop (with credits to wannabe1) then used the same solution for my desktop. The thing I forgot to mention on the thread was that my attention has moved from the laptop to the desktop pc because it was freezing for about three months. So I guess I got a bit carried away with the conversation and started talking about the desktop...

So now, My laptop is fine But my desktop is still freezing and i cant seem to figure out what the cause is.

I will Get them screenshots for you A.S.A.P

Sorry :whistling:

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
OK...now we will all be on the same page....

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hey Happyrck. I exported a full log from the everest software and HERE it is. Hope it helps... :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks ...now maybe we can get this resolved...

go here to get your chipset drivers......

http://www.viaarena....I...&CatID=1070

you only have 256 MG of RAM...XP will run with that but it will be slow and you should limit the amount of things running to the minimum...throw in another 512 MGs...watch for sales and you can get it with rebates for about $25.00..I use and recommend ...newegg...zipzoomfly...tigerdirect...cyberguys...

you also only have a AMD Athlon XP 1800+....you can upgrade that to a AMD Athlon XP 2500 for about $40.00 if I remember correctly

you've overclocked it 2 %..if you OC your computer and things aren't running "right"...undo the overclock

looks like you played with your memory timings too...while this is not always a bad thing...you better know what you are doing or you WILL have problems...go to some of the overclockers forums and educate yourself before "tweaking " your system or be prepared for problems like you are experiencing now...
I haven't got the time now to go thru the rest of the report right now..

Edited by happyrck, 06 December 2006 - 09:28 AM.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I have another stick of memory. 512MB. should i stick that in too?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if its the right memory ....then yes...