Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help - Run command missing from Start

• Please log in to reply

EmilyInEngland

EmilyInEngland

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys,

I'm having some really frustrating problems with accessing the RUN command in Windows XP. The option isn't there when I click the START button and it can't be added from the options (i.e - right click>Properties>StartMenu>Customize) as the option simply isn't there. Also when I hold down the WINDOWS button + R I get an error message popping up stating "RESTRICTIONS:This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator".

I'm at a loss to know how to get RUN back! I just hope someone can help!

Thanks.
Emily

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You don't have the RUN command because you are logged in with a limited access account. The only way to get the run command to be able to be shown is to have an administrator of the computer change your access from limited to full access.

There is no other way to get around this and we will not help you try to bypass the security in place on the machine you are using.

Fenor

EmilyInEngland

EmilyInEngland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply Fenor, but up until recently this command had been available to me. I always use this account and I have regularly accessed the registry by clicking START>RUN.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi EmilyInEngland...

As there are a few "questionable" applications that will disable this feature on installation, let's see if that's the case here. If you have administrator permissions, you should be able to do this...if you don't, you won't be.

Right click on the "Start" button and choose "Properties". Under the "Start Menu" tab, click on the "Customize" button. Under the "Advanced" tab, scroll down the list of Start Menu Items, and see that the checkbox next to "Run Command" is checked. Apply any changes you make.

wannabe1

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have seen this problem few times lately. I solved it by right-click Start > properties. Now select :"Classic Start Menu". Apply and try Run Command

EmilyInEngland

EmilyInEngland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi again,

I just checked my CONTROL PANEL>USER ACCOUNTS and I am logged on as an Administrator and so I shouldn't have "limited access". Yet, I tried Wannabe1's advice - there's no "Run Command" option for me to click - it doesn't appear in the list :whistling:

Skeptic - I already use Classic Start Menu - but I for the sake of trying to fix my problem - just now I changed back to the XP style and then back to Classic - but still no joy!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Running chkdsk on your Windows® XP or 2000 system can most often repair numerous minor Windows® problems you may have experienced and/or encountered......

1. Click the Start button then select Run
2. In the Run window's Open box, type cmd
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing the the following commands where the cursor is blinking:
a. chkdsk c: /f /r and then press <Enter>

5. a message will appear that says:"chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
6. Type y (for "yes") and then press <Enter>

7. A message will appear that will say: "This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts"
8. Type exit and then press <Enter> to close the MS-DOS-style black screen window
9. Reboot (restart) the computer as you normally would and chkdsk will automatically begin running after your reboot (restart). While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot (restart) your computer.

try that first and if still no joy we can try sfc /scannow

EmilyInEngland

EmilyInEngland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

1. Click the Start button then select Run
2. In the Run window's Open box, type cmd

But this is what I'm telling you...RUN is missing from the Start Menu - that's the whole point of my post! :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
While in Start Menu (not the classic one) did you try Run? In other words, my question is whether you miss Run in both types of start menu.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
"ahoy there m'hearty"

go to another computer, drag drop the run command from start to a usb key, that will give you the run funtion back, in this way you can make a vertial control panel of everything on you usb, key(for example a shortcut to regedit,exe, by making shortcuts of the commands rather than using run. btw afterthis, one if you are on xppro it is gpedit, and if one is on home, there is a regedit tweak which I don't remember and probably someone here will suggest something safer

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can run any of the commands that happyrck suggested from a command prompt...which you should be able to get to via the accessories menu in start.

i'd be especially intrested in the results of the sfc /scannow opperation...to run this you will need your xp cd handy

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you might also try "Restore the Run Command" on line 57 at ths site...it's a reg file that should replace the run command

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
as I also said, you can get to regedit by making a shortcut with target line, regedit.exe

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do you have a command window that may help you

FROM START>>>ALL PROGRAMS>>>ACCESSERIES>>>LOOK FOR COMMAND PROMPT

you should be able to do a chkdsk or scannow from there

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...

In addition to the command line utility detailed above. It is possible to access a graphical version of the Windows XP chkdsk.

To do this:

Step One: Open "My Computer", RIGHT click on the C drive icon, choose "Properties".

Step Two: When that loads, click on the "Tools" tab, then click on the "Check Now" button in the "Error Checking" section.

Step Three: When that little window loads, place a CHECK in BOTH boxes, then click on "Start Now".

Step Four: A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer, so......Restart the computer. Error Checking will run automatically after the restart and it locks you out from doing anything until it's finished. It takes a little time to perform the task but after it's finished, it will restart into Windows automatically.