Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NSIS ERROR

• Please log in to reply

mrgizmo

mrgizmo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
This has just started to pop up on my screen "NSIS ERROR" The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or virus. You may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy

It's not a virus as I run my virus scan everyday.

I looked this up in Google but i am still unsure what installer this is talking about -- is there anyone out there who has had this problem and fixed it please -- if so would greatly appreciate a fix for this

Thanx

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Were you trying to download/install something just prior to getting that message?

From what I've seen on this error, you should address each of those items in the error message:

1. Damaged disk - run Check Disk (open My Computer, right click over C:\, Properties, Tools, Error Checking-Check Now)

2. Failed download - determine what you were downloading and try again

3. Virus - update your Antivirus software and do a deep scan. You can also run anti-spyware for good measure.

mrgizmo

mrgizmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanx for that info LindaGail will try the disk fix now -- will let you know how I get on -- have a good day -- bi 4 now :whistling:

mrgizmo

mrgizmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi LindaGail -- I tried everything you suggested but still no good -- NSIS ERROR still pops up after I close the IE -- still thanks for your help --- so if there is anyone else out there with any more helpful suggestions please let me know -- thanx again

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can also try system restore .....go back a week before the problem started...

mrgizmo

mrgizmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi happyrck I did try that but only went back a couple of days then restored it -- but when it restored I had problems with my AV shiled as some files were missing so that it was disabled -- to cut a long story short I had to undoe the restoration -- but if it comes to this in the end I will use restore going back a week as you suggested -- thanx for that --

I have since found a link http://nsis.sourcefo..._get_NSIS_Error
This link states as Solutions to the above problem
1. Disable any download accelerators and download the installer again
2. update any active anti-virus and download the installer again
3. Disable any active anti_virus and download the installer agin
4. Download the installer from another source
5. Download the installer using another computer
I am a novice on computers -- what do they mean download accelerators- as far as I know I use windows installer -- can someone explain in plain english please

Thanx

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
A download accelerator is a software that supposedly speeds up your downloads. I think they were more prevalent when dial-up was the only online option.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

A download accelerator is a software that supposedly speeds up your downloads. I think they were more prevalent when dial-up was the only online option.

this is right.....and the accelerator's could and did cause problems...some were as hard to remove as spyware...I recommend you don't use them....

go back a week...you can always get any updates that you will need for windows or your AV programs

mrgizmo

mrgizmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
LindaGail, happyrck, -- thanx very much for your input/help -- I will try restore -- will let you know how it goes

C U L8r :whistling:

mrgizmo

mrgizmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
happyrck and LindaGail -- Just an Update on the NSIS Error -- I tried the restore system by going back a week but the system wasn't able to restore for some reason -- so reverted to plan B -- I've downloaded windows installer and loaded it but still the problem remains -- it's got me stuffed -- I've looked through Google and other Forums for help -- lot's of people with this problem but not many with a fix -- in some cases the windows installer reinstall fixed them but not in my case -- so if there is anyone out there who knows anything about this problem I'd be grateful for your help
Here's the popup msg I keep getting

Thanx
:whistling:

Edited by mrgizmo, 03 December 2006 - 10:52 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try running ccleaner...the default setting are fine...

http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

then get regseeker...have it clean the registry....after its done running...click on select all...then ON YOUR KEYBOARD..press delete...

http://www.snapfiles.../regseeker.html

mrgizmo

mrgizmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
happyrck - I have ccleaner installed and run it everyday but problem remains - just finished running the Windows Live Onecare Free Scan but apart from a few temp files that had to be deleted my PC was clean - problem still remains -- trying the url for regcleaner now and will give you an update when this has been done -- thanx for your time/help -- much appreciated

Attached File  NSIS_Error_ICON.doc   45KB   35 downloads

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hello and welcome, to g's2go.

hopefully you have this resolved by now, however if you are still having issues and suspect that it is malware related I would start with our malware forum and see if they can make sure you don't have any malware installed.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

cheers...xxx1

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hello and welcome, to g's2go.

post a hjt report in our malware forum here - http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html

mrgizmo

mrgizmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
happyrck have downloaded the regSeeker and scanned my PC with it -- it picked up 690 invalid/obsolete entries -- I couldn't understand this as I have been running a reg cleaner [registry mechanic] daily -- but anyway as you can imagine I was abit scared to delete this many but went ahead anyway -- my PC rebooted ok but I still have the "NSIS ERROR" -- I have scanned for malware/viruses/trojans but PC seems to be clean -- It's got me stuffed -- will try an HJT log like xxx1 suggests and see what/if anything is found

Thanx again for all your time/effort