Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up a home network

• Please log in to reply

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi Guys,

I recently went over to my wife's boss house to set-up his wireless network and I am having a problem. I went through the instructions on the cd for the router and followed everything and then I get to the part where we try to connect either through a cat5 strait from the router to the modem or wirelss and it gets no connection. It has a wireless signal and the lights are all lit up. His wireless router pops up in the list of available wireless signals in the area.

The modem by self works fine and will connect to the internet. If I am not mistaken he gets an IP address just no way of connecting to the internet.

I am pretty sure doing the installation of the CD it was rejecking his username and password (they are using DSL) so I tried again and the same thing happen.

So I need some help. He is running a lap top with windows XP. Dell I believe. The ISP is bellsouth. The Router is a Linksys® WRT54G Wireless-G Router . I told him to get a D-Link (I honestly hate Linksys...but I am sure the techs will slap me for saying that)

I have not tried typing ipconfig to get a ping from a site but any ideas on what I can do. Since I am not at the computer daily I'd need every step I can take no matter how detailed.

Thanks. :whistling:

Advertisements

smile07

smile07

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Please try it this way:
http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=102163

Go down to find:
Wireless Home Network OS Setup (1 to ?? PC’s)