Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Student Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Shelby281

Shelby281

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I do have an old Toshiba 205CDS that my mother used to use it and now that I need it for college, I have to make sure it's capable of my stuff.

It comes with 814MB HD and a 16 MB. 98SE installed and an Office 2000. Still fast and still have space but not that much. The HD I think gave up.

I'm thinking of replacing the HD to a more capacity HardDrive 4+ and upgrade it to 32MB. I do have the 32MB and still on process of bying the HD. What should I do? I do not have important files to save and I do have a DOS Disk and a 98Startup disk.

I like the laptop because it's my mother's and it's not that fancy as out there. As a matter of fact, students are poor right?

Any suggestion please.

Advertisements

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Shelby

What stuff were you planning to do on it? I assume the 16 Mb was the RAM. It's not a lot, you'll be limited to older windowses. But that isn't a problem unless you want to run the newest of the new.

Replacing a laptop harddisk is usually expensive. The smaller harddisks are probably not even available anymore. So if you're going to buy a new one, see who's within your range of cost and has the highest bits-per-money unit ratio.

You have the drivers disks too ? If you can't find them, try to figure out what hardware you have and whether you can find drivers on the net.
You have the office disks?
If you have all you think you're going to need, you can reinstall.

Success. :tazz:
Ojo

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If I can add...talk to your University IT department. If a requirement of your education is that you connect to their network, they may require a more modern operating system.

Note: I said REQUIREMENT. Most do not require it.

If you DESIRE it, though, they may mandate a certain OS (likely windows xp).

That said, I still have older systems than that that work fine

Shelby281

Shelby281

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
That's right, gerryf. I did checked my school and they require at least 98 OS. Also, I am not planning to install a internet (maybe someday). I have a PCMIA card and a cord for internet but I am not thinking of that at this moment.

I do have the 32MB RAM and I will install it as soon as I get the 6GB HD
that I found online. It will cost me $79.99.

So, after I replaced both memory and hardrive, will it change the performance? Which operating system would you guys suggests?

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Get it online! Just have the back up (Spybot, virus protection etc..)

I would say 50% of my university degree was researched online, and at some unearthly hour as well!!

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
XP will run on 32 Mb ?
6 Gigabytes still doesn't seem like a whole lot. But I guess Laptop-disks are more expensive. Your larger memory will improve the performance a little bit. It will have to swap less.

I'd say, go for the leanest, most option-stripped OS you can find. No wasting of processor-cycles on dropshadow cursors, start-menu fade-ins and more of that nonsense. I guess '98 is okay. If you had that running on it before, keep it.
ME wastes too much on looking pretty. XP... I don't know anything about XP, all I have seen of it were fancier GUI still... ( which was why I didn't use it... )

Spike is admirable... I know more people who pissed away their degree by being online too much. :tazz: Hanging in bars is safer... Eventually your money will run out and they will kick you out of the bar ( after which, out of boredom, you start studying again ;) )

Success ;)
Ojo

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Ok Ojo you got me, i'd say 5% on the net 5% in lectures and then 90% bar/pool/pulling

Well it was the life, still 2:1! Get in there!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No, XP will not run on 32mb...Windows 98 will, though.

But $70 for a 6gb harddrive?!??! 6? I hope you meant 60gb

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Yah, sounded a bit expensive to me too...
But after looking around a bit...
$39 for 6Gb (compatible?)
Toshiba's however still hang around the $100/120. ;)
Terrible. Does your laptop have USB ?
With the incredible difference in prices I'd go for the system on my internal harddisk, and all data on a huge disk, via USB.

But that's kind of off topic. You already ordered the drive.

Spike, I spent most of that time high on fixative, pot, live models and heavy metal :tazz:
Fortunately, for art, that's allowed.

( Not that I ever got really good )
Posted Image
Hi!
Ojo

Shelby281

Shelby281

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
$79.99 for a 6HD. I didn't buy it yet and if you guys can suggest a website to buy, I would consider it.

Also if I happen to have the new HD and my 32MB, after I replacing the old ones, any procedure for me to do before installing a 98?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Shelby, can you tell us the model number of the drive you have? All notebook drives are not the same dimension

Shelby281

Shelby281

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It says here on the HD:

Disk Drive: MK1926FCV
HDD2517 B ZE01

Is that it?

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Yes, the MK1926FCF is the indication of the model.
It's a Toshiba. Hope you find something compatible
and affordable.

Good luck!
Ojo :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/...ssPageName=WD1V

$19 on Ebay