Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot get win98 master HD to recognise winXP slave

• Please log in to reply

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi everybody, I've been having a tough time with my computer, I hope that someone here can help me out.

It all started when my computer froze and I had to reboot by unplugging. It never booted again. I kept getting a stop 51 error BSOD registry_error: wouldn't boot in safe mode, last known config did not work, etc. I read on here about similar problems and concluded that I needed a new HD. I have windows XP on my computer.

I went out and bought a new HD, a seagate 160 gig drive, compatible with XP. I plan on using a reinstall XP disk to put XP onto the new drive. But before I took that step, we had another old HD lying around that we decided to try using as a master to get my broken HD running as a slave and retrieve data, since it already had an OS on it {win98}. I have several home projects on my computer that I can't lose the data to.

The trouble is that although the win98 drive was successfully installed as a master drive it refuses to see that the xp slave, the one with the bad registry, is there at all. Go into setup and it seems to be there but it can't be accessed. Is it because of the different operating systems, or what? I know i can use data retrieval progs to retrieve the data but first I need to be able to access the drive.

Any help would be much appreciated. Oh, we checked the jumper cable connections and they match up to the specifications for master and slave.

~wynn

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the XP drive is formatted as NTFS, 98 cannot read it.

The easiest solution is to access it across a network - put it in as a slave on the computer you posted this from, share it (My Computer -> Drive D(probably) -> right click -> Properties -> Sharing and Security), then search for that computer from the Win98 machine.

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Sounds good but since I don't own the computer I'm posting this from, that is not an option. I hate to sound stupid, but what is NTFS?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
NTFS is a type of a filesystem, like FAT16 and FAT32, but it is newer than Win98, so the system will not be able to read anything from it.

One option, although it might be more difficult for you, is to get a Linux Live CD, such as Knoppix or Ubuntu. You can boot that and create a FAT32 filesystem, if you have extra space, and copy the files from the NTFS partition. This will require a bit of learning though.

Another option is to find a person who can help you or install XP on the Win98 disk.

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
That is what we are going to try next. We will install xp on the master drive tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Another option is to use a NTFS reader DOS boot disk.

http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm

With this program you can transfer files from the ntfs drive to a fat32 drive.

SRX660

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Well we upgraded the master to winXP and the slave worked fine with that. But there was no internet. So I backed up the slave and removed it so we just have one HD. The HD works fine but now we have no internet. I am connected using a router and the lights are all normal but no connection.

Windows Media player also won't play my MP3s.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a good website on configuring your IP address.

http://www.portforwa...g/static-xp.htm

If you have a dynamic IP address with your ISP you need to call them to go thru your settings.

As an OEM or user-installed option, MPXP( media player XP) supports MP3 encoding(recording) via a plug-in model. OEMs who wish to deliver this functionality to their customers can do so. The default encoding format for MPXP is Windows Media Audio, which delivers CD-quality sound at ½ the size of MP3s and is supported by all major device manufacturers.

I have found that some people record MP3's as RAW files. Sometimes WMP will not play these. Usually i have not had any problems playing MP3's with WMP.

Definition
raw - a raw file can contain audio in any codec but is usually used with PCM audio data.

SRX660

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
The computer is completely down again. I restarted to get an error screen with nv4_disp on the BSOD. I will probably never trust this machine again...what does this mean and how do i fix it...it wont even boot.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
NV4_disp.dll

http://byronmiller.t...d_windows_.html

And another fix.

Blue screen of Death "nv4_disp.dll"

To Fix the Problem
1. Start the Computer Tapping the F8 Key as Soon as u push the button to start it keep tapping till you see "WINDOWS Advance options menu"
2. Highlight the Option Safe Mode using the Arrow Keys on your Keyboard and hit Enter to Select the option.

3. Hit Enter again on Windows XP under Please Select an Operating System.

4. Select ADMINISTRATOR on the Welcome Screen and Click on YES on the Popup Message which will say Windows is running in safe mode.......

5. Click on START and give a right Click on MY COMPUTER icon and select properties with left click, this will pop up a system properties Windows under that select HARDWARE on top and under that select DEVICE MANAGER

6. Under Device manager click on the '+' sign next to DISPLAY ADAPTERS and give a right click on the NVIDIA Adapter and select uninstall and click OK on the Confirmation POP UP.

7. Close All the Windows and Restart the System Normally.... Windows Will start normally without any errors but with the basic Display Settings.

8. Locate you Display Drivers CD and install the Drivers from the Disc for your NVIDIA Card and the Issue will be Resolved.

To the above i would download the latest Drivers for your card from Nvidia and use them instead of the drivers from the original drivers CD.

SRX660