Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Power State Switching

• Please log in to reply

gantox

gantox

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have a rather rare requirement....

i have an usb device i use for only a part of the day...like 2 hours or so... now.... i dont want to keep it running, or powered up all the time, as my computer is on 24 hrs...and removing or unplugging it is not an option, as the wiring is tedious to get to...

also, there is an option in windows XP for allowing computer to turn off power to the device to save power... thats seemed like a solution, since i have ONLY ONE DEVICE connected to usb ports.

However, i am not comfortable with windows controlling power to this device, i want to switch off and on power to the USB device when i want.

I figure, it would be possible through some software, as windows does this... can anyone help me with a solution, one more things, if there is no direct small software solution, can i modify windows settings to how long it shud wait for the device to be "not used" to turn off its power?

thanks for the help...
gantox.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'll be honest: I don't know

Before I invest a lot of time into trying to find out, though, what about a USB hub? Seriously, they are $20 and they are great things to have around. Carry one in my tool box at all times.

You can even get a usb extension that would allow you to unplug on the desk.

I'm sure there is a reason why this is no good for you, but as a workaround, it is work investigating.