Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

switching mobo + processor

• Please log in to reply

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i bought some parts a couple of weeks. im just waiting for my video card, processor.. but anyways heres my question

i going to upgrade my current to PCI-E mobo and a dual core processor. if i switch mobo + processor:

1. Do i have to reinstall XP?
2. Do i have to update the bios inorder to install XP
3. Will my files from my harddrive be corrupted if i install the new mobo
4. Will movie, music, jpeg files be affected?
5. What kind of tests do i need to do after installing the new mobo? or i dont have too?

^^ thanks. first time upgrading mobo and processor. gonna be a fun experence XD

Oh yeah another thing.. im lost with the USB thingy on the mobo. my new case comes with 2 usb in the front along with 2 usb sport cables.. and my mobo has 3 blue slots which are USB onboard ports. my asus mobo came with the q-connector thing... but it comes with 1. the question, how do i kno where to stick it? there so much pins on the ports.

heres a little image if ur confused:
Posted Image
it says USB56, USB76 etc etc

edit - my mobo is asus m2n4-sli

Edited by silencer.dot, 01 December 2006 - 02:41 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) No. Do a Windows repair instead. Boot off CD, press Enter on the first screen, F8 on the second screen, R on the third screen.

2) No.

3) No.

4) No.

5) Shouldn't need to, should work out of the box. If not, send it back for replacement.

All USB onboard ports work in the same way and are universal so it doesn't matter which one you plug front USB into, it doesn't matter which one you plug front card reader into, it doesn't matter which one you plug the extra USB backing plate into.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If your case is like some you have single wires and pinclips for each wire. Heres the pinout description for USB.

http://www.interface...ctor_USB.html#b

On the above picture the vbus is the red power wire, D- is a white "data" wire as is the D+ green wire, and the black ground wire. The Shield on the picture is a extra thick black wire on some USB ports that is used as a case ground that some hardware likes to have. It is a 5th wire on some USB pin clips. You will notice that the motherboard pins have a 4 pin and a 5 pin layout. The ground pins will always go to the side that has the missing 5th pin. So, if you are looking down at your MB, and it is like the picture, you connections should be "red, white, green, black , extra thick black" from left to right. If you do not have the extra thick black wire (case ground wire) just don't use the last pin on the 5 set of pins

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 01 December 2006 - 05:25 PM.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
oh now that make sense...

to neil post.. can someone comfrim his post? not saying his post is unaccurate but making sure thats a ok solution.. i dont wanna data to go screwed up or deleted.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When it comes to data on my computers i will never completely trust any storage. I use multiple data storage solutions. Anything i really want to save i save to DVD's nowadays. I have at least 2 copies of everything i have kept and 3 copies of a lot of it. I have 50 gigs of MP3's and close to 15 gigs of programs i have saved over the years. Each year i add more to this and the cost for my redundant backups is less than $200 to date so i don't mind the backups. This includes a 160 Gig Hd for main backups and DVD's for secondary backups. Compared to the $1000 i usually spend on a new computer build i do for myself every 6 months it is cheap.

Neils methods usually do work but there is always a chance something can go wrong. I have a Athlon barton 2600 computer i built that ran very well even overclocked to 3.2 gig's. It was running quite fast until i tried installing SP2 from a microsoft download. It crashed the computer so badly i wiped the drive and started all over again. I lost some small stuff like some new favorites in the browser and a few downloaded programs but it did not take long fro me to find them again. Without my backups i could have lost quite a bit more data.

SRX660