Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fan is making a bit more noise then usual.

• Please log in to reply

Menos

Menos

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Yes, my fan, which is normally silent, seems to be making a more... droning noise now. It's probably wear and tear, or it may have been the winter storm that hit yesterday, maybe the cold "stiffened" some computer parts.

Can anyone clear this up for me? More computer problems keep cropping up after I finish off another, and it would be relieving to hear that this isn't actually a preventable problem. : /

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Bearings on the fan have probably gone, bear in mind they spin for hours on end, hours at a time in some instances.

Easiest solution is find out which fan is making the noise and replace it.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You also might look into ball bearing fans for quieter longer lasting ones.

http://www.nexfan.com/

I look for the highest flow with the lowest Dba and always prefer double ball bearing fans over sleeve bearing fans

SRX660