Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet speed

• Please log in to reply

nurujem

nurujem

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I Want to ask question. my question is my modem is a 28kb modem and i
always have a problem in the speed of the internet and downloading. please tell me if you know any free tool that you know that does not have an adware that can help me improve the speed of the internet.i have a dial up service.another question i have is i heard that ftp is better to use for downloading.please tell me how what it is and how will i get it free to improve my downloading speed

Advertisements

sophie995

sophie995

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Heya, my dad download a new internet broswer he had read from a magazine that he gets mounthly. The pages load faster and downloads to. I dont no if you need broadband, but i hope this is what you need. http://www.mozilla.org/

Sorry if its not!
Sophie

Dynamix

Dynamix

• Pip
  • 9 posts
^^Firefox is good, but an even faster option is Opera. You can download it from http://www.opera.com

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I Want to ask question. my question is my modem is a 28kb modem and i
always have a problem in the speed of the internet and downloading. please tell me if you know any free tool that you know that does not have an adware that can help me improve the speed of the internet.i have a dial up service.another question i have is i heard that ftp is better to use for downloading.please tell me how what it is and how will i get it free to improve my downloading speed

View Post

1) If you use or get Firefox, there is a plug-in that you can install that is a Bandwidth Tester. Installs under the Tools menu. Firefox makes it so simple and easy to find and use. It installs as part of the browser. Plenty of other neat plug-ins too.

2) FTP is a file transfer protocol. You will need another app that will better handle ftp connections and some sites will require a password. Public ones can use "anonymous" as the password. For more info on FTP, go here : FTP Definition

3) Check out the following link to see if you want a download accelerator :
Download Manager. You can Google others.

Dial-up is going to be slow, but there are some changes to your registry that could help. Prefer not to list them here as they could create more problems than what you are willing to contend with. A lot depends on your modem and modem setup. Rest depends on the Internet and it's myriad connections through servers. I know it costs more for DSL or some other broadband connection, but it's worth it. My 56K Flex modem did alright, but my cable modem made me wonder why I put up with dial-up for so long.

Ron

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Whichever browser you opt for - Firefox or Opera (dump internet explorer for security reasons), you won't notice too much difference with a 28k modem.

If you're married to dial-up for whatever reason, why not purchase a new 56K modem, they're not expensive any more.

Going for an external modem costs more, but you'll be able to run linux and surf the web in considerably more safety

So called Internet Accelerators - don't really work with dial-up, they work best with broadband, and many are ad driven.

Check out following urls:

www.onspeed.com

Claims to speed up normal dial-up using compression algorithms.

www.tiscali.co.uk

Offering similar system as part of their dial-up package, last time I looked.