Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newb with help needed :P

• Please log in to reply

lost_in_space

lost_in_space

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi everyone....what a great forum! I've been here as a guest lurking, but now am in need of much help if anyone can offer to help me ;)

I've got a bit of a problem...I actually want to reformat my pc, but I can't.

My system is an Emachines T1840, Intel Celeron, 1.80ghz. with a 40gbhd, running on Windows XP (hope thats enough info to start with :tazz: )

I've gone through everything needed to reformat. Once it starts the process, I get the following messages from Symantec:

"single user version, cannot do multiple loads"
"cannot open ghosterr.txt"
"invalid dump file"

Now in doing some checking, I've gone to my device manager and noted that my DVD-rom drive is disabled....Microsoft will not re-enable it at all.

I've found this link: http://support.micro...oduct=winxp#kb3 which seems to offer some help as I can follow the procedures up to #6, from there I see nothing showing the file "REG_MULTI_SZ"...although I didn't have this problem with my DVD-rom drive after installing windows XP as it came with my system.

Any help? All Im looking to do is get things working so I can reformat my system and get on with a clean slate. If more info is needed, please let me know :) Im not very computer literate ;)

Oh and I've also opened my pc up, took out the drive, rebooted and put it back in...which did enable it...until I rebooted to reformat...then the "x" in the device manager was back.

Advertisements

lost_in_space

lost_in_space

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
sorry to re-add to thise as I've looked everywhere for an edit post button, but cannot be found ;)

I have just unplugged my usb (which my scanner was connected too only) as I saw this may help....but its done nothing.

Im just at a complete loss. I tried again to reformat and come up with the same errors as before.

NOW....when i restarted to get back here, a screen on start up shows Im now having troubles with a msvcr71.dll :tazz:

Generally Im pulling my hair out when I have to reformat...and now that I actually want to I can't and ready to dump this in the trash.

I've also run Spybot, Adaware, Microsoft Antivirus, Mcafee, Norton and use winpatrol as well as panda

Msn Antivirus has found a file IST.ISTbar, which it removes almost daily and I ran a scan from mincrosoft on that item and doesn't show the file on my system.

To also add...as generally reformatting is not the best way to resolve...I am doing this due to a hack attempt from another forum which I moderate...so this is the reason I want to clear everything and change all passwords.

If there is anyone who can urgently help it would be appreciated. I've been at this since yesterday and just can't find any solutions. I see others have commented on the same possible problems...and I've tried it all. Im at the end of my rope ;)

lost_in_space

lost_in_space

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok im back again as Ive been in urgent need of help but I know that things for others do need to be handled also ;)

I called up emachines tech support...and at least for now I can see and access my DVD-rom drive....BUT....I still cannot reformat. I've put the disk in the dvd drive, reboot, get a black screen with a blinking prompt and just takes me back to my desktop.

Plus Im still getting that mscvr71.dll not found and to reinstall...but not sure where to find this to re-install it.

Help is much appreciated ;) as I don't want to start going bald over this :tazz:

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
How are you trying to format, Run -> "Format C:"?

If you are going to reformat and a program is causing you problems (like Norton), then uninstall it.

Afr1c4n0

Afr1c4n0

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Have You tried running directly from cd on boot...? on installing from cd...as if it was the first time? then when installing just say yes to formating before installing...if you have tried that....then sorry i couldn´t help :tazz:

Wally69

Wally69

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've seen it, the message about "single user version, cannot do multiple loads," before and I found information on norton's website about it. here's the link http://service1.syma...ost&svy=&csm=no
Well, I hope that long link works. I dont know if this will be helpful.