Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Genuine Notifcations

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi... It's been ages since I've been here (Can I just say, I love some of the shiny new buttons...) but I'm stuck again. Well, I'm not (surprisingly), a friend I know is.

The other day they turned on their computer and they were alerted that their version of Windows isn't genuine. Now, I'm pretty sure it is genuine, as it came preinstalled on their computer... BUT earlier on in the year their computer started going really slow and eventually just refused to switch on so they took it to a repair shop. I think that a non-genuine version of Windows was installed there...

Perhaps the most common scenario in which a user finds themselves unknowingly running a non-genuine copy of Windows begins with a visit to a local repair shop. In this scenario, the technician uses a non-genuine copy of Windows to complete the repair. For the end user, there is nothing to indicate that their copy of Windows has been changed. They receive an invoice with the repair details and take their fixed PC home. Unknown to them, they now have a copy of Windows that will fail validation. Microsoft is working hard at educating local PC builders and repair shops on the proper techniques for re-installing a copy of Windows and making sure the customer continues to have a genuine copy of Windows on their PC. Microsoft also recommends that users who take their PCs in for repair also remember to take the original Windows media that came with their computer should reinstallation be required.

She's never had the problem until now though... :S

I really don't know what to suggest. I did try and help, I sent her this page http://www.microsoft...structions.aspx by email and got this reply

ok I'm on that webthingy chat, but like i cant work out how to talk.
:s

I've tried them steps.
After restarting my computer a pop up come up so I clicked on it to download windows (it said, in like 30 days or something.) so I've press download and its said it failed or something or that the windows I use is not genuine.. :|

im so confused
and ive got a headache

[bleep] U [bleep]ING BILL GATES
[bleep] YA!

I said that the 30 days thing was probably just product activation, and sent her steps to activate Windows but haven't received a reply. It's hard to get in touch with her because apparently it's stopped her Windows Live Messenger/Internet Explorer from working too, so we're talking over myspace mail. I would phone, but her parents don't know (she's 17, and her parents would probably screw if they found out).

I dunno what else to do. How does she get it to stop saying it's not genuine... Please, please, please reply... We're desperate here! And it is genuine... Microsoft's trying to rip us off...

Thanking you in advance,
Michael.

Advertisements

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Aw... were the [bleeps] there before?

It's all change round here ya know... :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi o2mcgovem...welcome back!

Your friend may have to activate by phone...this will give them a chance to explain about the repair shop dropping an unrecognized copy of wondows on the machine. They're usually pretty good about setting things right...depending, of course, on the representitive you get.

How to activate Windows XP by phone
To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.
Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.
3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.
Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

wannabe1

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Do you know if the number works in the UK? And is it a freephone call?

Thanks for the help so far. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You will be given a list of numbers for your geographic location...choose the one that's closest. It is a free call.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Okay, I shall email her and tell her when I get a reply.

Edit: I got a reply, but I'm going to leave it for a while I think...

ok i dno what the [bleep] is ogiwn wrong with it
ok
sod judt leave it til tomororw
and i cant see cause my glasses are boken
guttedddd//

COME ONLINE RTOMOROW
PLEASE!;]
THANKSYOI

BYE

He he...

Edited by o2mcgovem, 08 December 2006 - 03:28 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the computer is a branded computer (that is, if its a Packard Bell or a Compaq or a HP or a Dell, etc) then it will almost certainly have XP installed under a VLK (Volume Licence Key).

A VLK basically allows a PC Manufacturer to install XP on their machines using this one key, not the key that's stuck on the side of the case.

Unfortunately, earlier versions of Windows Genuine Advantage flagged some of these VLKs as being non-genuine, when in actual fact they weren't. Newer versions shouldn't flag VLKs now as not being genuine.

Easiest solution is to take the PC in question to Windows Update and install every Critical Update going, one of these includes an upgrade to Genuine Notfications and Validation.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Will she be able to get to Windows Update? I thought updates via the Windows Update site were blocked on non-genuine machines, and that you could only get updates through Automatic Updates?

Oh, and I just remembered... I know it was genuine before she took it to the repair shop because I gave her a link to Windows Defender (the computer was riddled with spyware) and she validated and downloaded that without any trouble.

I will suggest the Windows Update thing to her, but is there a direct download link so she could install it without Windows Update (just in case)?

Thanks for all the advice/help so far :whistling:

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Right... The problem has been solved. Gather round all and I shall tell a tale of treachery and deceit, as well as joy and happiness. [Doesn't really make sense does it? Oh well...]

We put the calling Microsoft thing on the list as a last resort, and she asked me to take control of her computer using Remote Assistance. I accepted, looked around... couldn't really see any problems. (I didn't really know what I was looking for, I just checked to see if I could find an antivirus in the tray or Start Menu really.) I couldn't get the validation details up, it couldn't validate for a mysterious reason. I was puzzled. Hmm... I thought to myself.

Then, I downloaded the diagnostic tool thingy... it said there was a Cryptographic Error. I'd heard of this somewhere... services I think... I checked services and it was there, and it was started. I didn't really know what to do now, so I grabbed myself a coke and hobnob and watched The Simpsons. Homer's wise words ("in theory, communism works. in theory") strengthened me and I was ready to get back to work. So, I came back, went to Google and asked for help. I found a useful page on the Microsoft website that was all about this problem. After following the first four steps and failing, I tried the fifth step... and it worked. I think it was re-registering dlls, but I'm not really too sure.

Anyway, I ran the diagnostic tool again... and it stopped responding and took about a year to load, but when it eventually came it it said "Genuine".

We had a little mini-party for a wee while and then she restarted. The notifications went away. It doesn't look like there's an antivirus/antispyware on there so I told her to download Windows Defender. I know it's not an antivirus, but it's better than nothing... I don't think she really cares about antiviruses to be honest. Oh yes, and I told her to download Internet Explorer 7 too... it was in the Automatic Updates thingy, but it wouldn't automatically install. I don't know whether she's done any of those things yet, or has any plans to (it's her computer... she'll be the one getting it repaired again).

Um, so yeah... success. Thanks to everyone that assisted in this... I love you Geeks to Go! Well, maybe not love... more, approve of strongly.

One last thing... Can anyone just tell me, was I right to suggest to upgrade to IE 7? I've got it, but I don't really use it and she doesn't really get computers that much so... good or bad? (In your opinion[s].)

Once again, thanks for the help everyone. Windows Live Messenger works and everything now. :whistling:

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Oooohh.... Look at me... 83 posts! I'm catching you up "wannabe1" and "Neil_Jones", my two new geeky* best friends!

*No offence was meant by "geeky", I meant it in like a good way... like a respect way... I respect you because your geeky. If you're not geeky, then um, sorry. Do geeks like to be called geeks? That's quite a philosophical question... any philosophers in the house? I'm a philosopher! I only study philosophy of religion though... it's very interesting.

Guest_personhere_*

Guest_personhere_*
It depends on whether the word geek or geeky is used in a insulting way. In your case it clearly isn't but some people are touchy. However considering this site is called Geeks To Go I assume most people here wouldn't be that touchy about but it's just a educated guess. I don't have a problem with being calling me a geek providing it's not meant as some sort of insult. I call myself a geek because you know what? I am.

Edited by personhere, 16 February 2007 - 11:40 AM.