Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with my computer

• Please log in to reply

steve31990

steve31990

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i got a computer about 2 yrs ago. its windows xp. it was brand new when i bought it. anyways over the years it has become very slow since i bought it. i was wondering what i could do to increase the speed of it. help plz

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi steve31990...

Have you run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter lately? Run thos from System Tools (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools).

Click Start, then Run, type prefetch, then press "Enter", click "Edit", then "Select All", (all files will highlight), right click any file, click "Delete", confirm, then reboot.

Download, install, and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run "Tune Up Disk Clean-up"

Run "Tune Up Registry Clean-up"

Click "Optimize and Improve" to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then reboot.

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors.

The following are suggestions for making the most of the free trial.

After the reboot, click "Optimize", then "System Optimizer" to optimize the computer, select "Computer with an Internet Connection" from the drop down menu...this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click "Optimize", then "System Optimizer to Accelerate Downloads" and select the speed just above your actual connection speed...this also requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click Optimize", then "System Optimizer" to run "System Advisor".

Let us know if this helps.

Malware can also cause a machine to slow down dramatically.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 December 2006 - 12:52 PM.

max-a-million

max-a-million

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
make sure you run adaware personal and spybot spyware programs. they will get rid of a fair few little spy programs you get from regular internet usage. also check how many programs that you are running in your processors list, you may find that the CPU and memory needs to be running fairly high to keep up with your demand. you may just need to shut a few down.

max-a-million

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
max-a-million, this thread is about a year old. It's much likely this user isn't around anymore.
Please check the dates before you're going to reply to any topics :)

Regards,
Olrik