Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GP6-400 and Low Density Ram?

• Please log in to reply

kmerigold

kmerigold

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi,

I have a friends GP6-400 PII gateway. Some boards say, you can't. that 386 is the limit, but others say, you can use 3 256m chips, as long as they are low density, 16chip.

I ALWAYs have a problem figureing out the correct ram, so I have a bunch of chips at work I want to try out before I buy them.

My question is does anyone know how I can tell if a stick is low density? I get the 16 chip part (I think....8 chips on each side), but have no idea how to tell if it is low density or not.

Thanks for your help!
Kim

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Head over to Crucial and inster the make and model of the computer. From here you can find out what memory you can buy or order directly from them. I have always used Crucial memory and have never had an problem with it.

To save you some time I have done the steps for you:

Gateway GP6-400

Hope that this helps.

kmerigold

kmerigold

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks! That is a great site!

Answers all my questions.

Thanks again!