Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router Problems

• Please log in to reply

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi,
Of course I've had some router problems in the past, but very rarely. The solution to get it back working is to reset it by unplugging the power supply and plugging it back in after 30 seconds. Recently, it has been going off 1-2 times a day. Now although that doesn't bother me that much, because it can be fixed easily, now I have a new problem. I now have digital phone, which is connected to the router on the second of the four available ports. When the router stops working, my phone does too until I reset the router. I don't want to miss important calls, so what is recommended to fix this problem?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Buy a new router.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello ddiddy40 and welcome to G2G, :whistling:

When the router stops working

Do you just lose internet connectivity or does the light status change on the router itself. Copy down which lights are flashing, solid, blank when it is working..... and then copy down which lights are flashing, solid, blank when it is not working and post your results back here.

Please also post back your router's manufacturer and model number as well.

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
The router is a D-link DI-524

I lose internet connection and the lights change.

When the router is working properly the light pattern is like this:
Power:Solid
WAN:Blinking FAST
WLAN:Blinking
Port 1:Solid
Port 2:Solid
Port 3: No light(nothing plugged in it)
Port 4: Same as Port 3

When the router is not working *ALL* the lights are solid

Edited by ddiddy40, 03 December 2006 - 02:10 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Its definatly router related then.. have you tried installing the latest firmware for your router located here. <---- just select from the drop down menus... on the left "DI": and then on the right "524" then on the next page select the correct revision and then follow the links to the Firmware download and then the install instructions.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 03 December 2006 - 02:39 PM.

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Ok, I did a firmware upgrade to the latest version, but I guess only time will tell if it is fixed for good....

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Ok.. Ill keep an eye on this thread like my sig says :whistling: ....

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Ahhh!!!!....My router was working for about 3-4 days, and then BOOM! It starts doing the same thing. I really don't know what to do. The only thing I started doing was going to Myspace (ALOT). My library won't allow users to access Myspace because of high-bandwidth usage...could my problem be too much bandwidth usage???