Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New notebook

• Please log in to reply

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi all,

I'm wondering if somebody can help me decide, preferably someone who owns a mac and isn't biased towards it. I've used a friends Macbook (the very bottom one), and it's quick, looks good and has some nice features.

However, I have £1,100 to spend on a laptop... I'm currently looking at one from http://www.cyberpowerpc.co.uk/ (the Xplorer 90).

It has;

AMD Turion TL-56 1.8GHz (x2 Dual Core) 1MB L2 Cache
2048MB Corsair Value 667MHz RAM
256MB GeForce Go 7600
120GB S-ATA150 5400RPM
Wi-Fi 54MB/s a/b/g
Windows XP MCE / With *FREE* upgrade to *Vista Home Premium*

I like the look of Macs and have never had one before. I'm not sure whether I will love it or it will be a 5-minute-wonder. For the equivalent price (I can't get a Macbook Pro) I can get the top MacBook with;

Intel Core 2 Duo // 2.0GHz 4MB L2 Cache
2048MB 667MHz RAM
64~256MB Intel GMA950 Integrated
120GB HDD
Mac OS X

I understand the Cyberpower laptop has a slower CPU, but its sufficient for what I need it for (and can play games as well as far as I'm told).

Can anyone help me with what to get (please suggest other laptops around the same price that are better ~ just good as).

Much appreciated,

SuperSam

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would get the first one, the 7600 is the clincher the CPU is slower but its still a very good one and has a low heat output and it has high quality memory. Ild rather have the option of playing the odd game than not having it all, also its a very good graphics card compared to a woeful integrate intel chip that will use your system memory.The free vista upgrade is also a nice deal.

I also dont like the mac styling and whats worse the materials are pretty cheap, plus the cyberpower has that devil motif version thats brilliant(although its hilarious they offer the "patriot" version on the UK site like someone would purchase one) also the other colours look good too.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Yeah, I couldn't quite work out why they had the American flag on the UK site. I knew the Xplorer 90 would probably work out the better deal, I'm just taken by Apple Macs at the moment. I think I'll just find it being a five-minute-wonder. I'm going to get it ordered some time this week - CyberPower are also doing a free next day carrier delivery deal!

Thanks for your opinion WarriorScot.