Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to change IP on cable router?

• Please log in to reply

Kyrie

Kyrie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been trying to accomplish this but I just can't figure it out. Can anyone please help me out?

I run on linksys modem/router and my ISP is Cox and I can't change my public ip address. (WAN if I remember correctly.)

Things I have tried:
- IP maskers/proxies - While this works, it only resulted in disguising my IP address from websites. Not quite what I'm aiming for.
- Turn off the modem for 10 minutes|Turn back on - This didn't work.
- ipconfig release/renew method - Didn't work either.
- See if my IP changed automatically on it's own overtime - Didn't happen.

Does anyone know why my IP is so stubborn to change and if it is even possible without calling my ISP to do it? If there are other methods for this please do reply with that as it will be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Your WAN address is set by the ISP. Different ISPs have different release times before your unused IP address is given to somebody else. Some providers offer a fixed IP address (usually as an extra service, not as a courtesy), but most give them out dynamically.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
why do you want to change your public ip anyway?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I am a cox Employee. You can't change your public IP as it is assigned to you by the provisioning of your modem through Cox NOC.

The only way to get it changed is to call cox and get a different modem provisioned for service. Meaning, you can only have one modem at a time on your account provisioned for active service. You can however have two modems with 1 of them set as "Customer Owned Premise Equipment (CPE)" only and the other as an active provision for your High Speed Data Service..... Then call back in the next week and have the one active one deprovisioned and the second CPE modem provisioned.

Be warned though as additional service charges may apply, if you make it a habit of swapping provisioning around more than twice in a 3 month period.