Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Rom won't start

• Please log in to reply

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
I believe the only option was as Administrator, not Owner in Safe Mode, however, I will check it again. If there is a chance that I used Owner (which I really think not), but in the event...can I redo the 'taking ownership' thing again under Administrator (which is what I believe I did in the first place...but???)?

I won't move any files until I have double checked the logging on as Admin or Owner.

Not a problem with stepping out, I understand and appreciate your help....I've got to step out as well, I'm just afraid I won't be back until this evening!

Susan

Advertisements

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
HEY....GUESS WHAT???

I HAVE OWNERSHIP OF ALL THE WHOLE HARD DRIVE...NOT JUST FILES OR FOLDERS....THE WHOLE HARD DRIVE!!! I DID IT...EVEN THO IT TOOK SEVERAL TRIES AND I KEPT GETTING SYSTEM32 ERRORS....I GOT OWNERSHIP!!! HOORAY FOR ME!!!! AND WHO DO I WRITE TO AT MICROSOFT TO CHANGE THOSE OUTDATED DIRECTIONS THEY CALL KNOWLEDGE BASE ARTICLES????? BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL WRONG AND THAT'S WHY I WAS NEVER ABLE TO TAKE OWNERSHIP BEFORE THIS....I DID IT MY WAY AND SAID SCREW THE DIRECTIONS AND IT WORKED!!!!

Now, I will transfer everything to the extermal hard drive, which will basically save all the information on the laptop hard drive? Should I also transfer the Windows file or is that where things might be corrupt because of the virus that 'went in the trash'!??

Thank you, so very much!

Susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Fantastic!!!!!

Leave all the system files on the laptop...move only the data you want to keep safe. Documents, Photographs, music. Take the whole My Documents folder from her user account. You might ask your daughter if she has any particular folders she saved to and get those, too.

Once you have done that and you know the data is safe, we'll (meaning you) put the laptop drive back together and put it back in the laptop. We'll (meaning we'll) then pester that thing till it wakes up.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
OK...great news all around.

We'll (me) get going on the transferring right now. I have a whole list of what my daughter wants to save. However I lost the papers I jotting things down on when we were first trying to open and then change the BIOS settings...I believe I used ESP key to get at BIOS and I also believe we (me) left the settings of boot at CD-ROM-LAN-HDD-???something else.

Also, you gave me a new boot.ini file that I saved to my desktop in a Zip file. It's still sitting there. I think you instructed me to force it onto the laptop hard drive. I can go over old posts to find out. But is this something I should still do now? I thought the new boot.ini file would do something once the drive was reinstalled into the laptop? Right? Wrong?

Many thanks, I'll be here, transferring, waiting for your answer.

Susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...last thing before we (meaning you) disconnect the drive, we'll throw a boot.ini file on it.

I'm hoping the boot priority is set to cd-rom/hdd/floppy, but we'll check that when we get there.

Let me know when you have the data saved and you are ready to continue.

You should write down what changes you had to make to take ownership and share with us... :whistling:

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

You should write down what changes you had to make to take ownership and share with us...

Ah ha...the experts wants some information from the dummy now!!!

Seriously, I just got so aggrevated with the stupid directions because of the language they use and I didn't understand, I ripped them up and just started looking at what it was trying to tell me and during 'taking ownership' there are several tabs to choose from (which isn't in the directions) so I took each tab, one at a time and added my name (Administrator to HOMECOMPUTER <-knew that was me because I called my computer that and my daughter's laptop is called LAPTOP)...I didn't do this Group Administrator stuff either, I just went thru the 4 tabs (can't recall all the names of them) but each one gave you ownership, either partially or fully, so I used them all and it worked. Maybe some common nut like me will understand what I'm talking about, as opposed to that Knowledge Article jargon!

The files are still in the transfer process....there is less than 1gig left on this laptop, it's a miracle that it ran at all.

I'm hoping the boot priority is set to cd-rom/hdd/floppy, but we'll check that when we get there.

And I believe we had some difficulty in getting the boot set up into that configuration...remember you weren't happy with the fact that I could not get it set to CD/HDD/LAN/FLOPPY....you weren't confident about the LAN setting being 2nd, but we had no other choice. And I think it just remained there, once you decided to have me take out the hard drive.

Jumping ahead....I need her key located on the backside of laptop, that I remember and my XP CD or will this new boot.ini file do something wonderful??? to save me being exasperated????

Susan

going to be around when these files are done?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

And I believe we had some difficulty in getting the boot set up into that configuration

Ah...but I have since found the magic pathway for doing this... :whistling:

That's good advice for using the taking ownership directions...I'm going to try it myself, next time I have to do that.

Let me know when you're ready...if not tonight, then tomorrow.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Ah...but I have since found the magic pathway for doing this...

You are a genius to me!

Almost done with the files too.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Yea...I'm all done! I can't believe it's coming to an end! :whistling:

Before we get going...can you do me a favor? I found a Notepad file in Syd's Documents...I know it's not something she did, because the date on the file is from when her dad had the laptop prior to sending it to her. Can you read it for me and perhaps explain what it means? It appears some changes were made to the laptop after purchasing and before she received it...or that's how I read the file.

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 612
Source: Security
Version: 5.0
Component: Security Event Log
Symbolic Name: SE_AUDITID_POLICY_CHANGE
New Policy:
Success Failure
%3 %4 Logon/Logoff
%5 %6 Object Access
%7 %8 Privilege Use
%13 %14 Account Management
%11 %12 Policy Change
%1 %2 System
%9 %10 Detailed Tracking
%15 %16 Directory Service Access
%17 %18 Account Logon

Changed By:
User Name: %19
Domain Name: %20
Logon ID: %21

Explanation
This event record indicates that an audit policy was changed. The actual changes are shown in the audit log file. Changing an audit policy can have serious security implications. Audit policies changed by a user who is not trusted can be a security risk.

User Action
The person with administrative rights for the computer should make sure the user is supposed to have the privilege to change audit policies. The audit log should be checked to make sure the audit change does not have an adverse impact.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related Knowledge Base articles no do not read these!
You can find additional information on this topic in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
• Windows XP Support Center
Visit the Windows XP Support Center for links to common questions and answers, instructions, the latest downloads, and more.
• Post a Question to the Microsoft Windows XP Newsgroups
Ask your question to Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs) and others who use Microsoft Windows XP. You can also search for your answer in existing posts.

Thanks again. After reading and 'splaing...I assume I disconnect the external drive and await your geniousness with the boot file?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's let the malware folks look at the logs you found...

Ok...let's put that boot.ini where it belongs. It's still on the desktop, right? Right click on it and choose "Cut". From My Computer, double click on the laptop drive, right click in there, and choose "Paste". You should now have a boot.ini in the root directory of the laptop drive.

Then shut down and put the laptop drive back in the laptop machine. Have your cd handy and let me know when you are ready to try and fire it up.

Advertisements

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Let's let the malware folks look at the logs you found...

Don't mean to be pushy, but what you are telling me is that the file has something to do with malware? Only asking because that's the date the laptop was purchased.

let's put that boot.ini where it belongs. It's still on the desktop, right? Right click on it and choose "Cut".

Did you mean to write "Copy" not "cut"???? Only because I've really never cut and paste before. Also it's in a zippy file, so I have to unzip it first. Now, didn't you tell me that I might get a message of sort..."this file already exists, do you want to overwrite it??" possibly (Listen, I've got the worst memory, but for some reason, I remember practically everything you've ever written here without so much as a peak back, go figure?) And I believe you told me to indeed agree to overwrite existing file...am I right?

Will take me some mins to put all the screws into that protective covering thingy and then into laptop...but I'll still be logged on here on my computer.

I'm also impressed that I've now got 3 apples or 3 thumbs up or whatever those itty bitty icon thingys under your s/n...does that mean I'm getting up there on the geek ladder?

Susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I forgot we put the ini in a zip...sorry.

Right click on it and choose "Extract All". Extract it to the laptop drive. The only message you should get is to see if you want to see the extracted file...say yes to make sure it's there and then let's get on to the laptop.

I think what the logs were is domain permissions...probably from an initial setup, but I don't know enough about that to know for sure. I'm thinking some of those guys will know, so I've asked. We'll wait and see what gives on that.

Three beanies means you've gone over 100 posts. Yup...going up the geek ladder.

Let me know when you're ready.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Done, very easy. It's on the laptop drive. Now I take that tin box it's in off my computer, put the hard drive into that container thingy with 4 screws and slide it back into whence it came, screw on the plastic top and then put in the battery...plug in back into electricty and what...do I take the XP disk out of the CD drive? Should I turn it on or check the BIOS settings first 'cause I'm pretty sure I left them the way we (me) moved them.

Sorry last post took so long, it took 3 tries to get to post...think my puter's pooping out.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nah...the board is having the hiccups tonight. New servers by the end of the year, they say. We're getting to big for the ones we're on.

Yes...it's come to that. When you boot it up, boot into the BIOS and go to the boot priority settings. List me how they are and I'll give you the secret to setting them the way we want them.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Yikes...help!

I forgot how to or what side of the laptop's hard drive to put that container thingy with 4 screws and a plastic pull tab thingy....do you know what I'm talking about?

I forgot if it goes onto the side where the information/writting is on or the side where all the technical computer chippies thingys are?

Do you know where I screw this thing onto?