Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Rom won't start

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Stay on the bright side...right now things are looking very good for a complete recovery. Time will tell.

Advertisements

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
OK, bedtime for all.....and once again, tho it doesn't cover all you have done, THANK YOU.

As far as seeing me in the morning, it's 3AM here and I have to get up at 7AM to hit the mall at 8AM and then come home and rest...oh the joy of Xmas! and being laid up for a week, and being hard nosed about fixing this problem.

Goodnight!

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
If I can bother you for something stupid before you head out....seeing I'm a geekette in trainning now...LOL...how does one get to add a picture (similar to yours when you post) or is that even possible for us 3 beannies?

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
I'm sorry to keep you, but looking around here trying to gather insight...saw this and got a laugh!

Today's Top 10 Posters
Member Joined Total Member Posts Posts Today % of today's posts
wannabe1 17-May 05 8,652 50 6.64%
Susan9700 17-October 06 144 30 3.98%

Ha Ha, first you, then me...the 3 beaner!

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

This should start a long check that will thoroughly inspect and recover the file system on that drive. Once it completes it will (hopefully) boot directly to Windows. 60 to 90 minutes is not unusual for this to run, so be patient. It may look like it stalls or even back up at times...this is normal...let it finish however long it takes.

4:31AM

This did not happen, why did we both think it would have, optimitic?

This is where I'm at and stuck sitting here until I hear back from you whenever tomorrow:

CHKDSK found and fixed one or more erors on the volume.
29302528 kilobytes total disk space.
1226968 kilobytes are available.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
7325632 total allocation units on disk.
306742 allocation units available on disk.

C:\WINDOWS_ (<-cursor)

Now what? Will check in here before I head out today, hopefully you will too. I'll just leave the laptop on as is for a couple of hours, hope nothing happens to it, I just don't want to lose this screen or go thru the chkdsk again. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Type exit and press "Enter".

Now does it boot to Windows?

====================

To add an avatar, click on the "My Controls" link at the top of the page. On the left side of the resulting page, under the heading "Personal Profile", click on "Edit Avatar Settings". From there, you can choose a stock avatar or upload one of your choosing.

Edited by wannabe1, 21 December 2006 - 08:31 AM.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
EXIT...EXIT...EXIT??? THAT WAS ALL I NEEDED TO DO??? I'M READY TO KILL MYSELF!

So far, it appears to have worked. Windows did come up but it's looking for new hardware and since it's not my computer, I have no idea what it's looking for, so it's doing it's thing. The desktop is acting rather weird, icons seem to be missing (but since it's not mine, perhaps she keeps empty spaces?) and blinking, as well as her background. My guess would be malware or virus, so I'll install some programs and run them. Illustrator and Photoshop seem to be working. I manged to get to her documents and music. I will have to wait to hear from her in order to see if things are missing and we can work on that (from external drive) later?

To add an avatar, click on the "My Controls" link at the top of the page. On the left side of the resulting page, under the heading "Personal Profile", click on "Edit Avatar Settings". From there, you can choose a stock avatar or upload one of your choosing.

I have absolutely no idea what this means. Perhaps, one beanie should be removed for being non-geekish.

I am, once again, sick...only in pain this time (long story, my fault I fell, what else can happen to me? lightening perhaps?) so medication might keep me from being here often, perhaps this evening. In the meantime, I'll do what I mentioned and see if things look any better when I talk to you later on.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Terrific!!! It's running! :whistling:

We're not out of the woods...yet. Sounds like we have quite a bit of work to do.

Download HiJackThis, install it, run a scan, and save a log. Attach that log here for me so I can see what's running on there and where it's running from.

I see a trip through the malware forum in your future, but I want to work on the operating system a little more before I send you over there. Go to This Page and run the recommended scans...do everything except start a topic there...we'll do that later.

Once I've had a look at the HiJackThis log, I'll have a better idea of where we're at.

===================

My Controls link is on the upper right of the page.
mycontrols.png
The links to edit personal settings is on the left of the page you see after clicking the "My Controls" link.
mycontrols2.png
The Avatar (picture) chooser is located under the "Personal Profile" heading.
mycontrols3.png
From here, you can choose a "stock" avatar or upload one of your own.
mycontrols4.png

Edited by wannabe1, 21 December 2006 - 12:56 PM.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hi,

Understand HiJackThis (should I paste to notebook? and post here?) and then running ALL THOSE PROGRAMS, UGH! (do you want those results as well?) But I still don't understand this:

My Controls link is on the upper right of the page.
mycontrols.png
The links to edit personal settings is on the left of the page you see after clicking the "My Controls" link.
mycontrols2.png
The Avatar (picture) chooser is located under the "Personal Profile" heading.
mycontrols3.png
From here, you can choose a "stock" avatar or upload one of your own.
mycontrols4.png

Does this have anything to do with HiJack? or running all those other programs? What's an avatar or 'stock' avatar??? I've never heard this word ever!

All this might take some time, so I'll post when done...and there may be a possibility that her CDROM won't run (new news today's surprise from her...kids)...do what I can.

Susan

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
OK, HiJack thing is weird. Copied to CD...then went to put on laptop and got some message, about logs and don't do this, put HiJack in it's own folder, blah, blah...so I just put the install icon on her desktop, not installed yet.....will wait to hear from you about how, what, where and when....seems like some sensitive program.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The instructions with the images were for putting a picture under your username (above the beanies). That picture is called an Avatar. Stock Avatars are those that are available here for you to choose from.

In HiJackThis, click the button to "Save a Log"...that will save it in notepad. Attach that notepad file here for me. If you have trouble with that (it happens), copy/paste the contents of the log here and I'll attach it.

I don't need logs from any of the other programs you'll be running...in fact, for my purposes, just run ATF Cleaner, AVG Anti-Spyware , and Online - Panda Activescan.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
OH, OK, I'm sorry...I had forgotten that I asked you that (and fyi, I'm on some serious pain meds :whistling: ) so I kinda forgot. But thank you for that info...Can I put my own picture in, like one from my hard drive?

Gotcha on the HiJack info.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's not sensitive for what I'm after. Double click the icon on the desktop and let it install to it's default location. That should be in Program Files...we can run it from there.

Yes on the photo from your hard drive. but you'll have to host the image somewhere like photobucket, I think.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:03:31 PM, on 12/21/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Attached File  HiJackThis_log.txt   5.01KB   210 downloads

Edited by wannabe1, 21 December 2006 - 10:14 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Perfect...thank you. :whistling: