Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Rom won't start

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We're going to have to uninstall the Limewire...at least while we're working on it. I guess what she does with it once we're through is up to her. Limewire can really load a machine up with a lot of nasties in a big hurry. She'd be much better off without it.

You should be able to uninstall it from Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Advertisements

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Me? perfect? or the fact that you got the report? Or is the report perfect? or are you reading/going over it?

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
I can uninstall Limewire, but I have that as well, and it's paid program and it's quite safe compared to some 'free' sites, they alert you to a virus or malware in anything you download, so as not to. But I'm sure she'll just reinstall it. Is there a music program that I can get her that is 'safer' that you know of?

After Limewire removal....anything else?

I see you are alone here tonite, so don't rush.

ssuan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I just need it out of the way in case it employs any hardware hooks...I don't need things like that in the way.

How does the machine seem to be running? The log actually looks pretty good. Lots better than I expected.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Wow really? First, there's no anti virus on it...it says it has Norton, I know my kid, she didn't renew that...and I did a Search and it's nowhere...isn't AVG free?

It's acting kinda funny, actually similar to mine! Every time you go to do anything, click on a file, open a file, move something, remove Limewire....the whole desktop quickly disappears and then comes back. There are alot of open/programs running...think I'll shut some of them down.

Now I've got to go do the others that you wanted too...but it's running kinda funny...I'll run a spy sweeper on it too.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
AVG is free, yes. So is Avast! , which I actually prefer over the AVG. They're both quite good, though.

Does she have a firewall installed? Other than the Windows one, I mean...I don't see one loading in the HJT log.

We'll look at drivers and run some optimizers on it and see if we can perk it up a bit.

Have you received any error messages at all since it came back to life? Any hangs or sudden program closures?

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
I may have a problem with running the Online Panda Activescan....see I'm downloading and saving to a disk and then using it in her laptop...but I can't do that with an online scan....any other suggestions.

I can't access internet via laptop, it's wireless and I don't see IE, but something called Opera 8 Beta that appears to be a browser. Since I'm not familiar with how to even attempt to hook up on the net with her machine, I'm afraid to even try. So I need another suggestion instead of the Onlilne Panda thing.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
I'm sorry, there seems to be a delay with posts, I didn't see yours before I posted mine, I don't mean to bother you, would have put it all in one.

AVG is free, yes. So is Avast! , which I actually prefer over the AVG. They're both quite good, though.

Do you want me do download Avast instead of AVG?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download Avast!...install it and run it. Doing it this way won't give us the most recent virus definitions, but should find anything that's older that may be on there. During the installation, you will be asked if you want to schedule a boot time scan...say NO.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
So are we skipping the Online Panda Activescan?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...no way to do it unless you're online. :whistling:

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
OK, while I was downloading all the programs you want me to run...I install a copy of my MySpyProtector. It had over 320 found objects, like 278 Registry files, 15 Files.....things like hotbox, 800 crap, gator, weather bug...etc....

Will run these others now........is there a way to save these results into a log on any of these programs....just so I can show you?

I don't think I'm gonna make it much longer here, after these scans...I didn't just fall...I broke my ankle (for the 4th time) and the meds are making me illish! So I'll stay as long as I can bear it.

Thanks!

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Oh, sorry, one moe thing you asked about....Security Settings......just Windows Firewall, Auto Updates is On and NO Virus Protection!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Well, it's not online so we don't have to worry about it getting infected.

Go ahead and run what scans you can and let them clean what they will. Then we'll tweak on it a bit and see if we can get it running better.

Tomorrow's another day... :whistling:

Edited by wannabe1, 21 December 2006 - 11:59 PM.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
OK...will do what I can and they'll clean what they can. I'll post results tomorrow.

Many Thanks Again. Night!

susan