Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp Not booting

• Please log in to reply

sweeper

sweeper

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Hi

My friends computer has two HDD. In the 1st one XP and Ubuntu and in the 2nd one FC5. Suddenly the XP is not booting.
He chose XP from boot loader [he uses Acronis Boot Manager] it is giving him a blank screen with the cursor blinking at the top left corner. Just that no movement, no XP logo nothing.

He tried fixmbr, fixboot and chkdsk \r; but in vein. sfc \scannow is not supported. Fixmbr and fixboot succeeded but it is giving me the same result. I reinstalled FC5's Grub in the hdb5 [location of FC5's installation] but it does not give me boot option. I then reinstalled FC5's grub in hda1 and atleast now I can access net and look for immediate help from you.

He asked for my help and I know reinstalation is the last option but I just don't want to do that unless I do not have any more avenues left. He needs to boot in windows, so please help.

Thank you.

Edited by sweeper, 05 December 2006 - 02:31 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You might look at this.

http://support.micro...?...A=1&SD=HSCH

I personally would try resetting the CMOS with a jumper usually provided on the motherboard. Some times taking the motherboard CMOS battery out for a few minutes will do it also.

One last thing it could be is that the HD has died. This has happened to me once.

SRX660