Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD Need Help!

• Please log in to reply

stewie167

stewie167

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I honestly have no idea :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's hope it's XP Home... :whistling:

stewie167

stewie167

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hmm.. I am also wondering about my BIOS not having a default option. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If there is no menu option for Default or Fail Safe Default, try pressing F5 and save your settings.

stewie167

stewie167

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yeah I think we tried that. I don't think it did anything though *Shrug* Oh well I guess we'll just have to wait for Thursday to come.

guiltyparty

guiltyparty

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Yah I'm the one with the CD he'll be using. It is XP Pro. Will it still work? I think it should because most of the things are the same, but then again you are the Expert!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We can probably use the Pro version to get to Recovery Console, but we won't be able to use it for a repair installation. It will be seen as an upgrade and install the XP Pro...this would not be good in terms of validation.

See if you can boot to the cd and press R at the first option screen to enter Recovery Console. Let me know what you see on the screen by way of partitions or operating systems.

stewie167

stewie167

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay I pressed R on the first option screen but It obviously said "Windows XP Professional Setup" in the top left corner. I am now in the recovery console, it says:

Microsoft Windows XP™ Recovery Console.

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.

Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

C:\>

Edited by stewie167, 14 December 2006 - 03:11 PM.

stewie167

stewie167

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Whoo so I typed in CHKDSK, it finished. I typed EXIT and it rebooted, I booted it normally and I was able to log in! Everything seems to be working fine. Is there any steps I should take to actually make SURE that it is in fact working? and so that this doesn't happen again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type eventvwr.msc and click "Ok".

In the Event Viewer's left pane, click on "System". In the right pane, make note of any errors and list a couple of the most recent here for me.

Advertisements

stewie167

stewie167

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
There haven't been any recent errors since 12/4/2006. The source is MrxSmb.