Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nobbie, new build, needs help

• Please log in to reply

ex_x

ex_x

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am running thermaltake 650 psu, evga nvidia 7950 gt ko, amd x2 4200 (am2), 2x512 ocz pc2-6400 on asus crosshair motherboard.

I've put everything together and when i boot up, my monitor does not load, blank screen, and no buzz noise when monitor starts. There are no error displayed on the lcd. My monitor is fine, just checked on another computer. All fans and lights are working. I've tried cmos reset, and still same problem. Tried using just one memory stick.

Advertisements

illyism

illyism

• Pip
  • 8 posts
you even got windows installed?

ex_x

ex_x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
no, i cannot get in to setup the bios - have not once started

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Pull data cables to cd/dvd drives, take everything of that is possible( USB, etc). You should have powersupply, motherboard, CPU, hard drive, one stick of memory, keyboard, mouse, video card, monitor hooked up and nothing else. All PCI cards should be pulled out except video card. Boot computer while hitting the delete key and see if you get to the bios.( blue screen) There you can use the arrow keys and enter key to move around if necessary. While you are there set to boot from the cdrom drive fisrt so you cdan load windows from a cd.

If you cannot get to the BIOS with the minimum setup the first thing to do is replace the video card. You do get a SINGLE BEEPfrom your system speaker, right? Do you have a system speaker on the motherboard? Some motherboads don't have built-in system speakers so you usually have a pair of connector pins for a external speaker. Now is the time to recheck that everything is set in tight on the motherboard and everything connected the correct way. Next up is different memory. After that your most likely problem is the motherboard and it will hve to be RMA'ed back for a replacement .

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 06 December 2006 - 01:28 PM.

ex_x

ex_x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you all, was a short to ground