Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fatal Error on Startup

• Please log in to reply

drumgirl67

drumgirl67

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a problem with a desktop computer running Windows XP.

We awoke this morning to find it rebooting over and over in a loop, never getting past the loading screen. We managed to get in with safe mode, and I turned off the automatic reboot option so we could see the error, and here it is:

STOP: c000021a [Fatal System Error]The Window Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000022 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

Can anyone offer advice on how to fix this? Thanks.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Look at this MS article to see if it applies:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669

What did you do the day before the error started?

drumgirl67

drumgirl67

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

What did you do the day before the error started?

Installed the latest World of Warcraft patch and played that for a bit, maybe some internet browsing. Not much else.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Try booting with Last Known Good Configuration.

If that doesn't work, boot back to Safe Mode, uninstall the new WOW patch and see it that helps.

Do you have a reliable antivirus software installed? Is it current and when did you last run a full scan?

drumgirl67

drumgirl67

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm trying to relay this back to home, I'm at work right now...

He says the last thing that happened was this morning right before it started the loop, a virus tracker (not sure which one) found a virus in winlogon.exe and he hit fix or heal, which made him reboot, and that's when it started looping.

Tried the "last good configuration" thing and it didn't work. I'm planning on working on it more tonight when I get home since he's having a hard time with the command line stuff.