Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Applications disappearing

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Been having some difficulty with applications disappearing. Last week sometime I removed shortcut for Calulator from my desktop as it was getting kind of crowded. I created a folder for the desktop called Unused Programs and applications . I may have sent it there, but upon checking its not there. Anyway I have calculator pinned to start menu, but upon selecting, I get notification that it cannot be found, as it may have been deleteed, moved, etc.

I did a Micrrosoft Search off the Start menu, but to no avail. I checked files and folders manually pertinent to C , but nothing.

When I check in Add/Remove applications it is definetly there and ticked,

This is not the first time that this has happened, I have to be most careful when removing shortcuts for some reason.

Is there a way to download said application off the internet, as I don't have a usable CD-Installation disk for Windows XP with Office 2003 on hand.

Do you think that command/scannow would hellp?

Waynf

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The file that runs the calculator is C:\Windows\system32\calc.exe

Check if it's there and create a new shortcut for it.
I don't know why you would refer to Microsoft Office 2003. It has nothing to do with the calculator or the XP installation disc. ??

If it's not there, command /scannow would not help - there's no such command. It's SFC /SCANNOW but it only checks for corrupt or missing system files it's unlikely to help since calc.exe is not a system file. But , hey, it would do no harm to give it a try.

Edited by pip22, 06 December 2006 - 01:16 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Windows Calculator is located at %SystemRoot%\system32\calc.exe.

SFC might help, but it may ask for your Windows CD.