Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with internet connection

• Please log in to reply

gwmnatl364

gwmnatl364

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:

Last week I downloaded an upgrade to Windows XP on my Dell computer at home. Since then I have not been able to connect to the internet, get to my windows explorer or control panel. When I try to open Yahoo Messenger or AOL, the main screen appears then immediately disappears. When I try to get into the windows explorer, nothing happens and my computer just sits there.

Any suggestions on where I need to start to get my computer back to semi normal.

Advertisements

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
If it's Xp your best bet is to do a system restore to before the download. See if this cures it. If it does then don't accept the download from them!

Start > programmes > accessories > system tools > system restore

System Restore was a god send!!!

gwmnatl364

gwmnatl364

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the suggestion Spike. Unfortunately that didn't work. When I tried to pull up system restore, the system wouldn't pull start the program. It acts like my computer is locked out of anything I try to do. The only programs I can get into are Quicken, McAfee Virus Scan and some of the games. That Dr. Watson thing I was reading about on another forum has start to pop up. I was going to reinstall the operating system but really not sure how to go about doing that.

I really would like some help here.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try this link :

How to Repair Install

Hope this helps. If you were getting updates to XP for SP2, there are many issues/problems that SP 2 causes, but try the above link first and start from scratch.

Ron