Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bluetooth mobile phone remote control

• Please log in to reply

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Having just got myself a USB Bluetooth dongle and bluetooth mobile phone remote control software (which is scarily groovy), I'm wondering how much extra power leaving bluetooth enabled would take. Is it going to make a noticable dent or is it negligible compared to the roaming it is already engaged in?

Also might there be some security risks for the phone leaving Bluetooth enabled while I'm at home?

Mods: if you feel this question belongs elsewhere please do shift it, but it strikes me this is not so much a problem as a request for information
:whistling:

Digikiwi

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Yeah, i've noticed bluetooth drains alot of power if left on. I only use it when in the car. I can leave it on charge and not worry about it untill I leave the car (in which case I dont need the blue tooth earpiece).

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Good to know Sarah. I guess I'll mainly use it when I'm watching movies on the computer from bed, all nicely tucked in so I can always recharge the phone through that night. Now I just need to train a monkey to switch off the monitor and sound system :whistling: when I'm ready for snoozies ...or a long stick.

Cheers

Digikiwi

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I tend to use my headphones at night, i also sometimes move the powerblock next to my bed so i just flip the switch on that and the whole setup goes off.

What software is it you are using?

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
http://www.blueshare...ote_control.asp

or there is also

http://www.salling.c...licker/windows/

The former has applets for more applications but clicker has a nicer GUI, IMHO.

Both have people writing more applets but there are some bugs here and t here. Naff idea overall though.