Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Software does not recognize rescued files

• Please log in to reply

Chris_Scott

Chris_Scott

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I was recently working on Windows XP until my hard drive died. I had all of my data retrieved and have now set up on a Windows 2000 system for the time being. The problem I'm having now is I cannot open up any of the retrieved files. For example, when I attempt to open an InDesign file I get this very vague error message:

"Cannot open the file "bmvol7.indd". Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application."

Word says, I need to download a translator.

Photoshop and Illustrator just crash.

I understand that all of my rescued files may be damaged, but I was hoping there might be another answer. While the software specific icons aren't tshowing up the descriptions acknowledge what types of files they are and show the appropriate file sizes....so the information must still be there.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The file types are what Windows already recognises and the filesizes are what Windows has been told they are. It doesn't alter the fact that the files are potentially corrupt internally (that is, inside themselves) and the missing "bits" were destroyed when the original hard drive died.

Chris_Scott

Chris_Scott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for responding, Neil. It's what I suspected, but I thought I would just throw it out there to see if it could be something else.