Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card

• Please log in to reply

rosso5792

rosso5792

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi all, i'll get straight to the chase. For christmas, i was thinking about getting one of the new Geforce graphics cards (8 series). My problem is that i am not sure about how to install graphics cards and would like some knowledge from someone with experience :whistling:. i use my computer for gaming so i want the best from my money.

my comp spec at the moment is
AMD 64 3500+
Geforce 6600 128mb PCI-E
Windows XP home
200GB hard drive
DVD-RW drive
PSU 550W
1GB pc3200 RAM

thanks for your help guys in advance :blink:

p.s. i was thinking earlier if i should maybe go for a 7 series card and wait for the new technology to get better then maybe upgrade once everything is working with the new 8 series cards. please tell me what i should go with :help:.

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong part of the forum.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i would at least wait until after christmas, they are great cards now substantialy more powerful than any 7 series, even in dx9 games, however for the dx10 effects you would need the new windows OS vista as well, also ATI havent released their DX10 cards yet so the Nvidias are expensive more so than they would be if there was a competing card on the market yet. The ATIs are also looking to be possibly even more powerful cards.

You might also encounter problems with power, is the system a build with quality parts or a store bought system, if the PSU is generic(no name brand) i wouldnt suggest connecting any 8 series card.