Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VERY low memory after sys res

• Please log in to reply

jeannie m

jeannie m

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello! I hope somone can help.. Couple of mos ago I downloaded Moz Thunder. email prog. and have found it to be unstable. Tried to go back to Outlook Exp but couldn't export msgs to OE. Researched and downloaded a program to help me only I still couldn't get the msgs. I decided to do a sys rest going back two months. After this I began getting error msgs saying I had very little memory and asking if I wanted to uninstall some unused programs. I bit the bullet and uninstalled thunderbird (along with those msgs I wanted to save). :whistling: Still getting low memory messages and other weird msgs like Windows Defender Service not working?? HELP!!! Thank you!! Jeannie

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hello and welcome, to g's2go.

if you are still having issues and suspect that it is malware related I would start with our malware forum and see if they can make sure you don't have any malware installed.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

cheers...xxx1

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
guess you chose too far of a system restore

do you have other means of protection other than windows defender
looks like your going to have to reinstall windows defender
but first you should make absolutly its completely out befor you begin another install
so check add/remove programs if its there remove it
check cdrive for folder of windows defender and delete it
do a disk clean-up from your system tools and reboot

if you have not done this make sure your ant-malware are back up to date you probably removed two months of updates and the same goes for windows update do them too

did you during the two months have any malware if you did then they are back with a vengegance
so clean them back up
as for thunder === completely remove it

you can review this site

http://www.tucows.co...86856_1014/dlp/

jeannie m

jeannie m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you XXX1 and rushin1nd for replying. I am beside myself at this point. I reviewed the page that XXX1 referred me to. I got as far as installing the first cleanup prog (ATF) and did that. Next I tried to go to system restore only to get the error message that I first need to free up 200 mg of space first. I mean, I did this over and over and have gained over 200 by deleting some programs and properties has gone back to saying I only have 1 mg of disc space -- how is this possible. I am weary.... If anyone with lots of patience with one who is not very computer literate can help me -- please. Thanks so much! Jeannie

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://cleanup.stevengould.org/

try that cleaner it might clean a bit more

during the 2 monts did you remove or delete any files or folders that were no good

check all your folders and files and see if any old files returned after the system restore

do a disk defragmenter that can be found in your accesseries in all programs under system tools

also check your compressed files that too can be found in system tools under disk clean up

dont attempt any more system restores for now just try to clean-up and create the neccessary space you need for now

system restore is what got you in this mess

you might make it worst by doing another

jeannie m

jeannie m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you XXX1 :whistling: I was able to download AdAware and followed the steps and it is now scanning -- I am seeing (so far) that it says I have 3 new critical objects -- have NO idea what that means. Anyway I'm not sure what you mean by "did I delete any files in the 2 mos. that were no good - I'm sure I deleted some files.... I will try the other cleaner you just suggested. Thunderbird is what got me in this mess in the first place -- then when I couldn't import the messages back into OE I started googling that and found that I needed to change the e-mail file extensions so that OE would recognize them. Oie vey! What a mess!! Wished that I had uninstalled thunderbird FIRST b4 doing the restore. Live and learn!..........

jeannie m

jeannie m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
oops sorry I meant to thank :whistling: you too rushin 1nd!!!!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
what i mean is delete files in 2 months is dont forget you did a two month system restore

that means you have restored two months of any thing you may have put and clean with the recycle bin

after adawre is finish scan it should give you a threat rating of each critical object

jeannie m

jeannie m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The critical objects had something to do with targeting ads and I deleted them. Next I went to try and download Windows Updates and it tried to download Windows Defender and IE 7. ? It tried but failed due to not enough memory. I can't believe this is happening. Anyway I think I will call it a night and get in touch with my computer store tomorrow. I think this is way over my head. Thank you so much for your help. Jeannie

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
how much more space do you need or is required

you could gain more with this

http://www.stevengou...ftware/cleanup/

Advertisements

jeannie m

jeannie m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Good Morning Rushin1nd! You know I was thinking that I better clear something up -- I put in the subject line "low memory" when in fact the error message says low disc space. The strange thing is that it can go from registering 2 mgs to 300 mgs and now it says it is 34 mgs of space available on my c drive. ? I must have some sort of virus on this thing. I have been getting duplicate emails, long lost emails, emails that are blank etc. etc. This has all been since I downloaded Thunderbird. I no longer have it but the problems persist. I wish there was SOME way to undo the system restore where I took it back 2 months. My thinking was that that was when I downloaded the program. Thanks for your help. This is so frustrating.

Jeannie

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
can you do a highjack this and post it here

http://www.geekstogo...a...amp;s=&f=37

get some of that malware cleaned up so you can piece of mind

be patient the malware forum can be busy so 2 or 3 day wait is not unusual

but it is worth it

jeannie m

jeannie m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hope I did this right....

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:14:12 AM, on 12/8/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Secure Online Account Numbers\SOAN.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://users.adelphi...amrockshelties/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: Discover deskshop Browser Helper Object - {8DB3D69D-DA5E-4165-B781-72A761790672} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\BhoDshop.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PE2CKFNT SE] C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express 2 SE\ChkFont.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SecureOnlineAccountNumbers] C:\Program Files\Secure Online Account Numbers\SOAN.exe /dontopenmycards
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [type32] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [OM_Monitor] C:\Program Files\OLYMPUS\OLYMPUS Master\Monitor.exe -NoStart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: WordWeb (2).lnk = C:\Program Files\WordWeb\wweb32.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check 2.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\E_SRCV02.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Secure Online Account Numbers - {F74E75A5-96BF-40ef-A1C8-88EAEBB82AB6} - C:\Program Files\Secure Online Account Numbers\SOAN.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1136639854589
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: EPSON Printer Status Agent2 (EPSONStatusAgent2) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
can you do a highjack this and post it there

http://www.geekstogo...a...amp;s=&f=37

you did the highjack right but you put it in the wrong forum

jeannie m

jeannie m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Geez so sorry - I re-posted to the highjack forum. Hope I did it right. ~Jeannie m