Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AIM connection problems

• Please log in to reply

MountMoo188

MountMoo188

• Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, I'm a new member but I have a big question, if anyone can help please do. I had AIM 5.9 installed on my computer, and everything worked fine. Then I went to www.aim.com and it said to upgrade to AIM 5.9. Without realizing i already had it, I downloaded AIM 5.9 again. Now ever time I try to sign on it says "The AIM service can't be reached". I'm not sure what to do about it, and I would really love to log back on. If anyone can help please let me know. Thank you,

MountMoo188

Advertisements

user_name

user_name

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Uninstall AIM -- delete the AIM folder in program files, reinstall. Start with a lower base version and upgrade, but make sure the base version is working first.

Should do it. Make sure when you install AIM you click "No" on all the stuff they try to optionally install on your computer.

MountMoo188

MountMoo188

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I'm not to good with this kind of stuff. Could you help me find out how to uninstall AIM please?? Thank you, sorry to be such a bother but I'm really clueless here. Thanks.
MountMoo188

user_name

user_name

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Just go to add / remove programs in your control panel and uninstall AOL Instant Messenger. Then redownload a new version and re-install it.

MountMoo188

MountMoo188

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I did it, but I still didn't work. I tryed re-installing a lower version first and it didn't work, neither did the higher one when I upgraded it, I have no idea what to do now.

user_name

user_name

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Do you have Windows XP? If you do you could system restore to a point when AIM was working, just be aware that anything you installed after AIM stopped working will be removed as well. The idea being if a setting was changed, it would be reversed to a working condition.

Do you have Service Pack 2? Service Pack 2 or Norton Anti-Virus or other virus protection / firewalls can sometimes be the culprit of not allowing programs to access the internet, in your case AIM. Are you aware of a program which might be doing that, i.e. ZoneAlarm, Norton, Macaffe, Security Center, etc?

Dustin

MountMoo188

MountMoo188

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I have no idead what a system restore is, sorry. And I do have Nortan Anti-Virus, but it had let me on AIM many times before while it was installed. (Also I do have Windows XP) Thanks, I know I'm probably bothering being so clueless here, so thanks alot.
MountMoo188

user_name

user_name

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
System Restore restores your computer to an earlier point. Therefore you could go to Control Panel - Performance and Maintence Tab (assuming you are on catagory view) and System Restore would be on the left hand menu. You can then restore your computers programs and settings to an earlier date. The idea behind this being that you could restore your computer to a point when you remember AIM being working.