Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need a fast reply

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
From what I've seen so far, you only have one installation of Windows on the machine. When XP upgrades the original installation, it will usually create a folder named Windows.old and saves the previous installation there. If it manages to do a parallel installation, it would create a folder named Windows0 or Windows1 to install to and then sets this as the default operating system.

Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click the "Settings" button. In the resulting window, click the "Edit" button. A Notepad window will open (boot.ini)...Copy the contents of that window and paste it to your next reply to me.

Advertisements

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

also i have to appoligize for the long reply, i usually dont have the computer for long periods at a time, share it with the rest of the family

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nope...you have only one installation of XP on the machine.

Have you tried taking ownership as I suggested earlier?

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
yup i have, and i can access the files while the administrator is logged in, while in safe mode, but normally i cant touch my files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you moved the files to your new account.

Move them from where they are (from Safe Mode) and put them in a new folder on the C: drive. Then you should be able to move them into your new account from Normal Mode.

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
so essentially i have to put my whole comp into a folder cuz i cant even access my old programs

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll have to reinstall the programs...you have a fresh registry.

The only things you need to move are your important files...like documents and photographs. If you have saved games, you can recover those to, and you may be able to access them once you have reinstalled the games for them.

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
oh ok, well thanks then. I guess you have done all you can do. i really aprreciate it

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure... :whistling:

Sorry it couldn't have been better news.