Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to connect to wireless Router

• Please log in to reply

CarrieV

CarrieV

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I'm not sure where to begin.
I took over a laptop from my friend and it came with a wireless card.
All of a sudden, I can't pick up a signal anywhere.
If I'm plugged in via the ethernet cord all is fine.

I plug in the wireless card and it doesn't read it at all.

I tried going on the internet to fix the problem, download a driver and I can't find anything...almost everything is a broken link. Are there issues with this kind of card? Do I need to get a new one?

It's listed as: Inprocomm IPN2120 Wireless LAN Card

in my c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

Any help would be appreciated.

I'd really like to be able to hook into open ports at friends and in the library and various other WIFI places.
Thanks in advance.

Carrie

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is this an external or internal card? like...pcmcia or usb (external) or is it built in? does it have a hardware swtich? does it have an icon in the task bar (down near the clock)?
if there's a hardware switch physically on the card or on the laptop...make sure it's on
if you see an icon in the task bar...right click it and see if there is an option for "enable radio" or something to that effect

i also found the driver for your card...before installing it...go to device manager and find the card and uninstall it

start > run, type
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

Or

Right click My Computer > Manage > Device Manager

find the wireless card...right click it and choose "uninstall"

Edited by dsenette, 08 December 2006 - 08:24 AM.

TaraLeigh75

TaraLeigh75

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I'm at work, so I'm doing this from memory....so I can give you some sort of info.

I did uninstall the driver last night hoping it was the right thing to do. And as for the driver...THANK YOU!
I'll download it and install it as soon as I get home.

It's an external card...plugs into the side of my computer.
When it was kind of working, I checked it and it said the card was fine, but it couldn't connect to the network.
VERY odd.

I don't see a switch to 'turn on' my wireless card. I'll look at it again tonight when I get home.

I did see that you don't work weekends, so I'll post asap when I get in the door. (half day today!)

Thanks so much for the quick response. I really, really appreciate it!
I hate being attached to my cable at home. Much more comfy to curl up with my computer in my fluffy chair. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I did see that you don't work weekends, so I'll post asap when I get in the door. (half day today!)

well...i'm not the only person here...so it's possible that someone else will read what you post and help out as well

on saturdays i do log on and check things...i'm just no where near as active as during the week

TaraLeigh75

TaraLeigh75

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
No problem. I completely understand.
I appreciate ANY help I can get. Once the driver's installed I should pretty much be good to go, right?
Or are there other steps?

Sorry I logged into my friend's account at work by accident.
:whistling:

Edited by TaraLeigh75, 08 December 2006 - 12:30 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it's the drivers fault...then once you instal lthe driver it should work...if it's not the drivers fault...well then....there may be some work involved

CarrieV

CarrieV

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, then.
Thank you.
Hope to talk to you soon.
Again, I appreciate the quick responses.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
.....are you using 2 seperate logons or are there two of you?

CarrieV

CarrieV

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i've installed the driver, but it won't finish installation
The driver doesn't show in the device manager.
Try to open program to finish installation. Nothing.

Try to unplug and replug wireless card...still nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by CarrieV, 08 December 2006 - 11:55 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what do you mean by "it wont finish installing"?

Navigator470

Navigator470

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi i have the exact same problem.
I tried to reinstall the driver but there is no "wireless network" under my control panel. Windows doesnt recognize my card but the lights in the card seem to be fine (there are two lights, power and activity power is fine but no activity) I also tried to add hardware manually but the computer doesnt list my hardware. I also tried to do the "have disk" method of adding hardware using third party updates but after i select setup information the screen apears to be blank. And when i ran the intel pro chip wizard it said my adapter had an error starting up the miniport. Any suggestions? any help is appreciated
thanks

PS - i think the way to solve it maybe with the havedisk method but can some one help me with this error ?

thanks

Navigator470

Navigator470

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i found only one solution for this problem. I have a desktop so i physically took it off and then i put it back in. windows detected it and then installed the driver for it =) now evrythings up and running fine :whistling:
thanks for you help guys.

and i dont know how to do this for a laptop. ud have to somehow remove the pci card and then put it back in. I dont have a laptop so i have no idea how to do this sry =( in the desktop (inside) there are lots of cards and i was able to unplug the pci card itself so i dont know how this works for the laptop sry. im sure someone else know how

CarrieV

CarrieV

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

what do you mean by "it wont finish installing"?

The driver wouldn't finish installing. It wouldn't show up in my media files.
I unplugged and replugged in my wireless card a few times and it finally hooked in and the system let me install it.

Now it's all set up, but it won't pick up my signal. My roommate is using the internet without an issue. There's no cordless phone to screw up the signal.

It registers Linksys (that's my router) when it does a scan, but the signal strength is 0%