Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer freezes when playing video

• Please log in to reply

StaticRed

StaticRed

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hello all. I have been having this problem for awhile now.. i cant play video at all on my pc,

i have a asus P4V8X-X motherboard and i have tried all the lastest chipset drivers. agp drivers. iv got the 4 in 1 pack the hyper drive ones iv tried everything.. this was happening on my old hard drive bought a new hard drive i have a fresh copy of xp in stalled and m still getting the problem, also my graphics card driversare up todate which is an msi 256mb gforce 6 series nx6200 ax

i have all the latest drivers,

im running windows xp service pack 2..

it all started when i used a programe called driver cleaner. i started the programe clicked nvidia and it cleaned all nvidia drivers. after that i couldn't play video. i have tried everything i really need help

i have windows media player 11.. if i ry and play a video the pc just freezes and it takes me 10 mins to get it back.. when i bring up task manager it takes 5 mins for it to appear then another 5 mins b4 i can even click on it to end task then ages b4 it even closes and as son as it closes the pc is ok again..

this doesnt only happen with media player i have tried videolan. realplayer it even does the same when i use programes to split movie files and so on.. even in nero express when i go to make a vcd then edit it.. it hangs.

i really need help

Edited by StaticRed, 08 December 2006 - 08:04 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
A little clean up may be worth a try. First, make sure you have the latest driver for your video card available to install. Then go to add/remove programs and remove the current video driver. Then boot into safe mode and run Driver Cleaner TWICE, each time deleting all that it finds. Then re-boot and install the current video driver.

Edited by austin_o, 08 December 2006 - 08:48 AM.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
reinstalled the drivers? tried a different media player?

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

A little clean up may be worth a try. First, make sure you have the latest driver for your video card available to install. Then go to add/remove programs and remove the current video driver. Then boot into safe mode and run Driver Cleaner TWICE, each time deleting all that it finds. Then re-boot and install the current video driver.

done everything you said and still have the same problem.

and Supercalifragilistic i have tried so many different media players,

veideo lan. real player. quick time, windows media, win amp, none are working..

any more idears?

thanks

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Have you checked the settings on your video card? Perhaps you have acceleration set too high. Set it to default.

Edited by austin_o, 08 December 2006 - 04:39 PM.

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
thanks for your reply. mm
how do i check that?

steve465

steve465

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i had this problem recently. it was a bad ram card.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hmm, I have an Nvidia Getforce 6200 myself, and when I first installed it video would not play at all. I changed the video acceleration (which for some reason was maxed out when I installed it) back to default and viola, video plays fine. I have been poking around in the settings (lots of settings in Nvidia Desktop Manager) and I don't see it. See if you can find it in your video card manual.

My settings are color quality hightest 32 bit, antiailiasing appication controlled, anistropic filtering off. Still don't see that acceration thing but I do remember changing that to get my video working. You did the driver update and clean up. I suspect it is a setting on your video card. See www.nvidia.com support. They have faq and manuals there.

Edited by austin_o, 08 December 2006 - 12:15 PM.

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
ok i was reading about this seems tis is a common problem with 6600 , one guy said to lower the hardware acceleration

i did down to were it says, disable all direct draw and direct3d applications.. i have it at that and now video works,

but games are blocky and glitchy..

im having no luck :whistling:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Maybe you need to try tweaking the acceration setting a little. You may find that if you want to watch video it has to be set one way, and for gaming another. Inconvenient yes, but it works better in each case probably a minor inconvenience.

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
yeh i was thinking that. were i have it now. if i move it up one notch it wont play video....

so like u said when i want to watch video i put it at that mark and but it at full for gaming..

annoying but if its the only way i gotta do it..

thanks for all your help guys :whistling:

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
There's an issue with the 9x.xx series nvidia drivers that kill video playback on 6200s on Via and Intel chipsets (although not the Intel chipset update from August, just the older ones, and the one from November). Switch to the 84.21 drivers (go www.nvidia.com, search for 84.21), and that will take care of it without changing acceleration.

Apolo

Apolo

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
what is that driver cleaner uve been talking about, austin?

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

There's an issue with the 9x.xx series nvidia drivers that kill video playback on 6200s on Via and Intel chipsets (although not the Intel chipset update from August, just the older ones, and the one from November). Switch to the 84.21 drivers (go www.nvidia.com, search for 84.21), and that will take care of it without changing acceleration.

thanks for your reply i just found the driver an dim gona uninstall my old one and install that one. ill let you knwo how it goes. thanks again
update..

weeeeeheeeee thanks Kurenai, that fixed the problem.. i have the acceleration at full and video works..

thanks man.

this place is the best :whistling:

Edited by StaticRed, 09 December 2006 - 06:55 AM.