Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista install help

• Please log in to reply

lpchris85

lpchris85

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Im trying to install a verson of vista at the moment however when i tell my computer to boot from the cd drive it will prompt me to press any key to continue install, however once i press any key it loads my windows xp OS. Im wondering how i can install my vista cd even when it defaults to my current OS anyways. I would appreciate any help.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi lpchris85...

Which build are you trying to install?

wannabe1

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
im pretty sure its RC2 64 bit edition

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Will your machine handle the 64 bit version?

Was this downloaded from the Microsoft site?

If you are planning on replacing the XP, Vista will install as an upgrade and you can start the installation from within Windows by putting the installation cd in the drive and letting it autostart. Make sure you have the Vista product key that Microsoft sent you handy.

A word of advice though...you are likely to have a better time with the 32 bit version. There are still a number of driver issues to be ironed out in the 64 bit version. That and there are a lot of applications that won't run well or not at all in 64 bit.