Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New gaming system

• Please log in to reply

JoJoTime

JoJoTime

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey, I was looking to get a new complete system. I want to use it for multitasking and gaming. Im looking forward to play most of the source games hl2, css etc. I like to play many high graphical games too and i'd like to also have a nice smooth framerate.

This is the quote that I got from a game dude shop.

Athlon 64 3700 socket 939

ABIT KN8-SLI Motherboard Socket 939

1 gig DDR400 OEM Memory

Albatron 7900GS 256meg PCI-E 
Model: 7900GS HDCP

Samsung 250gig SATA-2 8meg Cache
Model: SP2504C

Floppy with Card Reader BLACK

TT Matrix Black/Silver 430 watt
Model: VD2430BNS

Samsung 940N BLACK 19" TFT Monitor

Mitsubishi Standard Keyboard BLACK PS2
K101B Standard

Razer Krait High Precision Gaming Mouse
The final cost of it would be $1,630 AU plus hardware assembly.

So all I would like to know if this would be good for lots of gaming.
I hope thats enough info..

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Everything looks good. The only thing more i might add is 2 gigs of memory instead of 1 gig. Games depend the most on the video card and memory to run the best.

SRX660

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
why don't you get a dual core processor??

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
i thought the socket 939's were very power consuming?

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Ask for name brand memory instead of OEM. OEM could be anything. Spend the extra 20 bucks and get some peace of mind. So very often cheap OEM memory vs decent memory is the difference between a volatile and a stable system.

It may also be worth getting it quoted again as an AM2 system. If its only a few bucks more you should go that route. 939 is a dying socket standard.

JoJoTime

JoJoTime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Sorry, I haven't checked this thread in a while.

I've actually changed a few components..

New Specs are:

AMD ATHLON 64 3800+ Retail Box AM2

ASROCK AM2NF6G-VSTA nVidia Geforce 6100-405 Intergrated Video and Sound DDR2 SATA PCI-E

CORSAIR KIT Value Select 2gig (2x1gig) DDR2-667Mhz

PALIT 7900GS 512meg Dual Link DVI TV-Out 

Western Digital 250 gig 7200 RPM SATA2 KS 16meg cache

THERMALTAKE MATRIX Black / Silver MEsh Panel 430 Watt Power

19inch LG Model L194WT-SF WideScreen SIlver 1440x900 High Contrast 2000:1 DVI 5ms Respone

MITSUBISHI KM303 Ultra Slim Multimedia Keyboard USB

RAZER KRAIT High Precision Gaming Mouse Optimized for Real-Time Strategy (RTS) 1600 DPI

LG 18x DVD+/-R LIGHTSCRIBE BLACK Burner Dual Layer

Because a dual core processor wont make much difference to gaming and it also costs more..

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
It will make a huge difference in gaming, and doesn't cost much more at all. From www.tigerdirect.com - 3800+ socket AM2, 114.99 Same processor, but Dual Core, 144.99. For $30, I'd do it.

I can't, in good faith, recommend that anyone buy an ASRock motherboard. At any time. For any reason. Neither PC Chips, ECS, Biostar, or any of the other low end brands. Buy quality, and it will love you forever.

I've never heard of "Palit," which doesn't speak to highly of it. Unless it's a serious price difference - like $100 or so - buy from a known good manufacturer with known good support. eVGA, XFX, and BFG all come instantly to mind. When you're buying a video card, what you're really buying is support and a warranty.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
The dual core difference is effectively having two of that processor in one, and as game coding is becoming more advanced, and is taking advantage of multi-threading, now is the time to go dual core.

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I agree with all that was said above and will add some of my own advice.

I notice from one quote to another you went from a 7900GS video card, to an onboard, integrated video card that is a major step down. If you want a gaming system get a dedicated video card, ideally a 7600 GT or better.

JoJoTime

JoJoTime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

I agree with all that was said above and will add some of my own advice.

I notice from one quote to another you went from a 7900GS video card, to an onboard, integrated video card that is a major step down. If you want a gaming system get a dedicated video card, ideally a 7600 GT or better.

Oh.. No that thing I said about onboard video+sound was already included on the motherboard..
I still have the 7900GS though

Edited by JoJoTime, 17 December 2006 - 08:23 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just wondering how much are you paying for that monitor, because usually when there is a 2000:1 contrast ratio you pay a HUGE premium for it. Why have a better contrast ratio if the game is choppy (low FPS) due to poor hardware. If your paying any more then 300$ for your display your money will be better spent on hardware and a slightly lower end monitor.
If its included on the motherboard it = onboard which = none gaming PC.
Just my 2 cents.
James

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Sorry, I haven't checked this thread in a while.

I've actually changed a few components..

New Specs are:

AMD ATHLON 64 3800+ Retail Box AM2

ASROCK AM2NF6G-VSTA nVidia Geforce 6100-405 Intergrated Video and Sound DDR2 SATA PCI-E

CORSAIR KIT Value Select 2gig (2x1gig) DDR2-667Mhz

PALIT 7900GS 512meg Dual Link DVI TV-Out 

Western Digital 250 gig 7200 RPM SATA2 KS 16meg cache

THERMALTAKE MATRIX Black / Silver MEsh Panel 430 Watt Power

19inch LG Model L194WT-SF WideScreen SIlver 1440x900 High Contrast 2000:1 DVI 5ms Respone

MITSUBISHI KM303 Ultra Slim Multimedia Keyboard USB

RAZER KRAIT High Precision Gaming Mouse Optimized for Real-Time Strategy (RTS) 1600 DPI

LG 18x DVD+/-R LIGHTSCRIBE BLACK Burner Dual Layer

Because a dual core processor wont make much difference to gaming and it also costs more..

The newer Intel core 2 duo Conroes will severly outperform the amd athlon 64 3800+ at everything including games. Well the amd athlon 64 3800+ versus an amd athlon X2 3800+ dual core you wouldnt see a big improvement in games but the amd 3800+ X2 dual core would do alot better in applications and multitasking.

When you get into the Intel core 2 duo's vs the amd athlon 64 3800+ single or dual core they will absolutely leave them in the dust on any application.

The thing is the newer conroes which are dual core really do alot better in gaming than a single core would. So as of right now with the current technology you are in theory wrong because the newer intel conroe dual cores are alot better for gaming. The conroes are the new redesigned chips that are fast. The e6600 and above are extremely fast.