Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP: Takes 5 mins to startup!

• Please log in to reply

Xanarki

Xanarki

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
So, here's the problem that needs to be fixed ASAP. I start Windows XP, and I let everything load. I pass the log-in screen (since the only user is 'owner'). Then, it shows the desktop background, which is a pretty picture of a corvette that I put on.

Yes, a nice picture. The mouse arrow appears. Anyway, I wait...and wait...and wait. After 5 mins, the icons FINALLY show up. Everything is normal.

But those 5 mins of starting up MAY have started to happen after

A. I downloaded an upgrade from Microsoft for my Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/PV Graphics Controller 64 MB graphics card.

B. Installed Windows XP Service Pack (not sure if it actualy installed or not, how can I find that out?)

C. Security IGuard somehow appeared (but I already prevented it from loading on system startup).

I need some help. I only have a few running processes when I load up Windows XP. I need this fixed by tonight. ASAP! Thank you...

Advertisements

Xanarki

Xanarki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I meant Service Pack 2*********

Also, is there no such thing as an Edit Post button?

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
I would recommend getting BootVis. It should help cut off some boot time. You can download it at: http://www.softpedia...k/BootVis.shtml

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Also you might want to see what's starting up when you start your computer. Start<Run< type in "msconfig" (no quotes).

Xanarki

Xanarki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the help.

I did the msconfig thing already. I already have Bootvis, but I don't understand how to use it at all. Can you help me out a little please?

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Well-i'm not expert with BootVis myself but I can get you through (I hope). Ok, go to "trace". Then go to Optimize System. Tell me if it goes faster.

MR0624

Xanarki

Xanarki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Nope, it didn't.

But a friend of mine helped me make it go faster anyway. Although I always did wonder what BootVis did. Thanks for the support.

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Sorry it didn't work. Glad your computer's back to normal though.

MR0624