Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless router problem

• Please log in to reply

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi

just bought a 2wire home portal (1000 series) - and have it set up on my desktop as wired router (ethernet) and that's working fine. When I try and connect wirelessly to the network via my laptop - it shows the routers network and shows full signal - but at the acquiring network address bit it lags for ages and then shows limited or no connectivity. When checking details it is clear that my router is not providing an ip address

I am new to networking and am struggling here - another problem is that I have no set-up cd and according to the online support pages from 2wire this is the best way to set up a network

Can someone help me please - I spent 9hours trying to get this working yesterday and am admittedly, completely out of my depth with this

Thanks in advance

Stevie

Advertisements

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi - Since last post I have unchecked enable ieee authentication in lan settings on the desktop pc - thought this may be interfering. Ran a command console to renew my ipconfig - (clutching at straws)

Some success - laptop connects (or so it says)on full signal - assigned ip.....

Still isn't allowing a connection to a web browser - what else can I do?

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi Guys,

Still trying to get this wireless network going. IPCONFIG details might help one of you to spot a problem -

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration ip address 172.16.1.36
subnetmask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway 172.16.0.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection

Media State.............................Media Disconnected

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi exparisstevie,

The 1000sw is a bit old and only has 802.11B Wireless but is still a very serviceable router. I've used one for years and have had no problems with it.

The wireless is showing a good ip so the DHCP is working. The media state disconnected is the ethernet which should be disconnected since the wireless is connected.

First restart the router, either true the interface or unplug the router and plug it back in.
Second, go to Internet Options and delete the Temporary Internet Files.
Third, disable any third party firewalls and try to connect.

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi,

Carried out all of your suggestions. Still takes ages to acquire an address and when it says connected no true connection. In the web interface (on the desktop) it's not showing as connected either.

It's supposed to be easy to get working out of the box but i've been trying for 2 days! - must be dumb!! hehe

Any ideas?

Stevie

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
If the wireless is still showing connected, open IE (or your browser of choice) and try to surf by direct address. 216.239.51.104 is Google. If this works then there is a DNS issue which can be fixed by hard coding the DNS servers.

Things to try with the ethernet connection. Disable/enable in Network Connections.
Right click on My Computer and select "manage". On the left select Device Manager. Expand the Network adapters if not all ready expanded and right click on the ethernet card and select uninstall. Restart the PC. check for connectivity.
go to Start/ run/ open=cmd. Type in "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" (no quotes) press enter. Next type in "netsh winsock reset" (no quotes) press enter. a message should tell you the reset was successful and to restart the PC.
Last thing to try is Safemode with network. I perfer to use the F8 method at start up but you can use Start/ run/ open=msconfig. click on the boot.ini tab, select safeboot then network next to it and click OK then restart the PC. once in safe mode check the ability to surf.

The 2Wire I have is a dual connect (ethernet or usb). If you can't get the ethernet working you can try the usb if you have the drivers. Here the drivers for the one from Bellsouth.

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi,

Think I need to clarify the situation.

The network that i'm trying to set up is partially working. I have my router (also integrated adsl modem) ethernet connected to the desktop which is connecting fine (using that to write this)

The other part of the network is the laptop - which I want to connect wirelessly (to no avail)

So far (to eliminate causes) I have tried to ethernet connect the laptop - works fine
I have tried a wireless connection with another network - works fine

since I followed your advice yesterday - I no longer am assigned an ip address by the router - I am getting an ip starting with 162 which isn't right.

Can anyone help with this - I have always been wary of networking (quite rightly so as it turns out!!)

Stevie

PS someone suggested winsockfix - dunno what this is, can anyone advise?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
A winsock fix for XP SP2 is done by by what is called the nutshell utility. Go to start then run and open=cmd. in the command prompt window type in "netsh winsock reset" (no quotes) and press Enter. you should recieve a message that states successful reset and restart the computer. I also like to restack the TCP/IP while doing the winsock reset. From Command Prompt type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" (no quotes) press Enter. this assures that the sockets and the stack are in the original configuration. Then restart the computer.

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi,

I found the problem! - The printed (default) encryption key was incorrect! - I put in my own and hey presto! - all working.

Actually, need some advice re setting up the network now. All I need to do basically is be able to access drives on both systems from both systems. One other question that I had, is it possible to play music through the desktop's audio setup from the laptop? Laptop is connected wirelessly to the gateway and the desktop is wired (ethernet) to the gateway.

Thanks for your help

Stevie

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
It's possible and probably the best way would be to set up a streaming server like Icecast. You may be able to get by with out the server but I've found it adds a lot of overhead on both system trying to play music from a networked drive.