Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Floppy / DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply

bazzala

bazzala

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi,

My disc drive/dvd drive has stopped working - the icon is no longer appearing under my computer. I have recently downloaded a new game from the internet and for it to work correctly I needed to have a virtual drive through daemon tools - I think this may have disabled/deleted my working hardware drive.

Anyone help?

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do you get a code or did you try remove the game

remove the game and try a system restore

if you got a code or error please post it so we can see what it is

also check your control panel systyem hardware device manager

look for any warnings or yellow marsks or red

you can uninstall those warnings or update them just right click on them and your options are there

bazzala

bazzala

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
In my device manager there are 3 items in the list all with a yellow asterix - under the properties is this message:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41).

I was trying to find away of not deleting the game as it was a major pain to get on.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
this work for others who had code 39 and 41

FROM START>>>RUN>>type in .. regedit ..CLICK OK

REGISTRY OPENS>>>>the first thing you want to do is create a back up
so we will navigate to registry key....

=====================================================

BACKUP this Registry key BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES:

Highlight it ->> {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} <<>>>[/ click Registry from the File menu -> select Export Registry File...

-> browse to your desired location -> type a file name -> click Save.
IN ORDER TO FIND IT WE WILL NAVIGATE OUR WAY TO IT

STEP ONE

....CLICK ON>>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>>THEN CLICK +ON SYSTEM>>>THEN LOOK FOR CurrentControlSet..CLICK THE + SIGN>>>THEN LOOK FOR Contro l>>CLICK THE +SIGN>>THEN CLICK + SIGN ON Class >>>HIGHLIGHT THIS ONE BY CLICKING ON IT>>> {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

=======================================================

STEP TWO
AFTER YOU HAVE IT HIGHLIGHTED>>>MOVE CURSOR TO THE LEFT ON TO FILE AT THE TOP>>>CLICK ON FILE>>>THEN CLICK EXPORT>>WINDOW WILL OPEN NAME IT CDREG BACKUP>>SAVE TO DESKTOP

STEP THREE
GO BACK THE ONE YOU HIGHLIGHTED>>{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}>>RIGHT CLICK>>DELETE THESE TWO IN THE BOX ON THE RIGHT>>DELETEUPPER FILTERS>>AND DELETE LOWER FILTERS

CLOSE THE REGISTRY AND RESTART

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
rushin1nd...Pardon me for butting in. Your information is essentially correct, but the instructions are kinda difficult to follow. Also, we prefer that only members of Staff give registry editing advice...though, to your credit, you wisely suggested they back up the key before making the edit. Let's clean up your instructions a bit.

Hi bazzala...

Let's do this in steps...first:

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

From Registry Editor, in the left pane, expand (click the +) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Class, then click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Are LowerFilters and/or UpperFilters listed in the right pane?

wannabe1

bazzala

bazzala

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi,

Thank you both for this.

Wannabe - i can't see anything to do with lowe/upper filters in the right pane of the above file, there are a number of other files like :

class
icon
installer32 amounst others

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you recently installed or uninstalled iTunes?

Open Device Manager and expand "DVD/CD-ROM drives". Is your missing drive listed? If it is, right click on it and choose "Uninstall". Accept the change. Do this for each problem drive if it's listed.

Reboot

bazzala

bazzala

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I may have recently uninstalled iTunes yes.

I've uninstalled the 3 problem drives (with the yellowasterix)

Gonna reboot now.

bazzala

bazzala

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
OK - rebooted.

On the boot up it said it had found new hardware - the DVD Drive that I think is missing, but can't seem to install it. Do I need to find some driver files from the internet?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There's an issue with iTunes that I've been seeing a lot lately...it causes this problem when it's uninstalled. Do you have a System Restore point that's just prior to installing iTunes?

bazzala

bazzala

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Never done a system restore before - a bit nervous about it - my other half has been doing a big assignment on it and don't want to loose it. Also I'm not sure when I uninstalled iTunes.

Any other options?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try reinstalling iTunes and see if the drives reappear.

bazzala

bazzala

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
OK - I've re-installed iTunes, rebooted and the drives are all back as normal.

That's amazing how iTunes affects your hardware!!

Thanks your a star!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yeah...it's weird. It's using some kind of a hardware hook, but it's not filters. Hmmmm.....

Glad we got you sorted... :whistling: