Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desperate for help - DISC READ ERROR OCCURED

• Please log in to reply

kimp

kimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok so heres the deal.

Im at work looking for a file on the computer...I open one that says "rebates" and opens is a picture of a man with bug eyes sitting at a computer. Obviously a virus...the computer freezes and ctrl alt del wont work so i turn it off and on...i know not good to do...

anyway know the begins to start up...then goes to a black screen that says DISK READ ERROR OCCURED PRESS CTRL ALT DEL TO RESTART and everytime i do that it just goes back to the same thing. F8 did not work until i put in the windows xp pro disk. Now with the Cd i get back to the black screen get "press any key to boot from cd" and i do...then i get "setup is checking your hardware configuration settings" or something similar to that the computer goes to a black screen and just sits there...

please tell me there is someway around this and that the harddrive is not toast....its my computer at work and the last thing i need is to get fired.

I have nortons on the computer and had run a scan the day before....

Advertisements

OldTimer

OldTimer

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 3,273 posts
Hi kimp and welcome to the GTG forums. It sounds like whatever you opened made a mess of either the master boot record (mbr) or the boot sector. Here's a link to Microsoft with repair instructions for that. Try them and then post back here with your results and a HijackThis log file.

Repairing Damaged MBRs and Boot Sectors in x86-based Computers

For directions on how to submit a HijackThis log go here:

Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Required steps before posting your log.

OT