In the process I ran into my "error locating system" problem again (see my other topic). I found that if I unplugged all other drives (IDE and SATA), that the problem didn't occur. I'm not sure which drive(s) actually caused this problem because I did it all in one step.
Anyway, I left the raw copy of Windows without any drivers, and just let it idle for about a day and a half. I got no blue screens or random restarts during this period.
Then I installed the most recent chipset drivers from Nvidia.com. After this I have gotten three errors. The first two happened before I was able to run windows update so I got the code from what I could from the "report error to windows" prompt when booting up after the error.