Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unstable operating system

• Please log in to reply

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
So I've finally gotten around to reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling a fresh copy of windows.

In the process I ran into my "error locating system" problem again (see my other topic). I found that if I unplugged all other drives (IDE and SATA), that the problem didn't occur. I'm not sure which drive(s) actually caused this problem because I did it all in one step.

Anyway, I left the raw copy of Windows without any drivers, and just let it idle for about a day and a half. I got no blue screens or random restarts during this period.

Then I installed the most recent chipset drivers from Nvidia.com. After this I have gotten three errors. The first two happened before I was able to run windows update so I got the code from what I could from the "report error to windows" prompt when booting up after the error.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Still no replies, : (

I've got more errors and I'm still running with just the windows installation and chipset drivers.
I've also got VLC installed so what I do is leave the computer playing a looped playlist of MP3s while I'm away. Maybe its relevant but VLC crashes A LOT now.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

EDIT: Oh yeah and I've plugged the SATA drives back in last night (03 26 2007). So far I've gotten like 4 blue screens today

EDIT AGAIN: Make that 5
Posted Image

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 27 March 2007 - 01:22 PM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
This is quite disturbing...
Posted Image

ADDENDUM:
Posted Image

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 28 March 2007 - 09:25 AM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Go back to the older version of the NVIDIA drivers.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Done. So far no BSODs

Dryfter

Dryfter

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Well, looks like I'm a little late. But If you start getting them again. Try this and here is the wattage calculator you were wanting. The First is driver cleaner, I'm not sure if you tried that yet, but install that then get ride of all your video drivers. Then restart, then reinstall your video drivers. (this is assuming the video is still the problem).

Hope this Helps!

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Got a blue screen!
Posted Image

ADDENDUM
Whenever I have screenshots like these there never was actually a BSOD.
Posted Image
ADDENDUM II
Posted Image

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 29 March 2007 - 02:27 PM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
The NVIDIA Firewall is crap and just loves to mess things up. Remove or disable it and enable the XP firewall.

Some reading;

NForce 4 Firewall, I give up!

ASUS A8N-E Stability Problems

Uninstall Nvidia Firewall Help, yeah, it thinks I've run out of ram.

Uninstall NVidia Firewall, any suggestions?

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Oh this looks very promising. I'll get it done as soon as I can, and let you know how it turns out! :whistling:

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
GAH, finally got that done.

15 minutes in and no BSOD yet.

BTW in the time just before you suggested this I got a really strange blue screen. I've never seen this one before.
Posted Image

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I got a system crash while downloading some files.
Posted Image

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Got this whilst installing counterstrike-source and half life 2 (from steam)
Posted Image

ADDENDUM
Got this not too long after making this post. Also I found out why I wasn't actually getting blue screens for a while, which is strange because I never enabled auto-restart.
Posted Image

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 31 March 2007 - 06:30 PM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
When you fresh installed XP did you install the motherboard and other drivers then SP2 (or is SP2 included with your XP CD) plus the rest of the updates before installing any other programs other than anti-virus/firewall? You seem to have a corrupted installation that is further hampered by installing certain programs before they should be.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

When you fresh installed XP did you install the motherboard and other drivers then SP2 (or is SP2 included with your XP CD)

SP2 came on the CD itself. It's the student version of XP Pro that I got at my colleges computer store for $5.

I installed the anti-virus program before getting any updates from microsoft, because I didn't want to get any viruses. I'm also using the windows firewall.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I really had hope for it this time. I finally installed video drivers because I couldn't stand not being able to use my standard resolution and drag windows across the screen regularly. It had been on since last night and all day today up until now. Playing music and movies. Downloading files and surfing the net. But then...
Posted Image
ADDENDUM
Posted Image

You seem to have a corrupted installation that is further hampered by installing certain programs before they should be.

So what does this mean for me? Can the installation be fixed?
MORE ADDENDUM
Posted Image

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 02 April 2007 - 06:13 AM.