Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unstable operating system

• Please log in to reply

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Have you reinstalled the Operating system yet. Sounds like the windows kernel is having problems.

Try running a sfc /scannow
see if that helps.

I haven't reinstalled the OS yet, no.
I ran sfc /snannow and it asked me to insert my Windows XP Pro CD, it started scanning files. I don't know the results of the scan because it finished while I was away from my computer. Let me know if I should do the scan again to see the results, if any.

you may want to get your system stable before asking it to multi task...

sorry about that. I guess I'm kinda spoiled, I'll try.

if you don't have anything connected to the parallel port on the back of your case..usually older printers or scanners
then go into the bios and disable the parallel port...that will free up a IRQ..

Done. I also freed up another IRQ by disabling the serial port because I'm not using that either.

lots of people are having trouble with the NF4 firewall aka NAM...turn it off or disable it

I uninstalled that a long time ago

use msconfig and go into startup and uncheck everything except your AV and firewall...go to start...all progams..then delete anything in the startup folder... then just play a game and nothing else...

I'll do this when I have just one stick of RAM in.

the first error message... navex15.sys belongs to Symantec Antivirus Engine ...way back I recall you running AVG...you
can't have 2 AV's..they will fight..remove Symantec (norton) if its on your system...

No AVG products installed on this installation of Windows yet. I think your seeing the AVG spyware program because I've never had AVGs antivirus program on this computer.

the 2nd error says you have mismatched memory or a video adapter problem...
you could try just using 1 stick in slot B 1 to see if in fact it is mismatched memory...if you get blue screens with the first stick swap for the second stick and try again...

On the first stick right now.

the driver scan says you have bad drivers for ...
your video card...check at the video card manufactures site for their newest STABLE driver

I already have their newest drivers 93.71

the next three you can get at the mobo's wesite
your IDE controller..
your audio codec interface..
your network bus enumerator...

The IDE driver I had installed was included with the chipset drivers; with that said, the IDE drivers on ASUS's site did NOTHING after I uninstalled the IDE portion of the chipset drivers. Instead they installed RAID. I'm really starting to get irritated with ASUS.
The audio driver I had installed also was included with the chipset drivers. After installing the new realtek ones, I went back to the driver scanning site, and they don't like those either.
I have no idea were to find drivers specifically for a "network bus enumerator". The ones I have were inside the ethernet driver portion of the chipset drivers.
And yes, the chipset drivers are the newest ones.

marvell yukon 8010 PCI gigibyte ethernet controller ...you can get the driver here

Done.

your mouse...get the newest drivers from the mouse manufactures website

No drivers. Just a button function config program that messes up gaming.

if you don't use Raid then you won't need the softraid 5 controller driver

Ok

happyrck do you agree with tuxmaster that I should try just reinstalling the OS?

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 09 April 2007 - 10:40 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you want to try reinstalling windows...do it to a different hard drive just leave the original OS on the drive its on......and not the one you have your swap file moved to...it will give you a dual boot option when you start up...it will ask which version you want to boot to..after installing use the arrow key to select the new install of windows...IF that one runs without crashing the we would know its the first install that screwed up...if its the same we will know its hardware..

Edited by happyrck, 09 April 2007 - 11:43 AM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Would it matter if I used an old IDE drive that I can hook up on the IDE cable with the CD Drive? Or should I pick on of the other SATA drives?
And if I can use the same IDE cable as the CD drive which should it be, primary or secondary. I'm guessing primary.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try it on one of the SATA drives...it would be best if you backed everything up first..then format the drive..NTFS...then install the OS AND all the updates...then defrag the drive ...after that you could put the data back on it..

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
OK, before you posted that last one, I went ahead and installed Windows XP Pro on the old IDE drive; it is now sharing an IDE cable with my CD Drive on the Primary end. I haven't installed any drivers yet though.

Two things I would like to note:
1 - I didn't run into the usual "error loading operating system" error that I usually do when installing Windows XP Pro.
2 - There is no "dual-boot" option when starting up. It seems to just choose an operating system at random. I've booted four times so far and the first two times it booted the new installation, and the last two times it booted the old one.

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 10 April 2007 - 03:45 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when it booted to the new install did you have any crashes or hangs..
look in the boot.ini and get me a screenshot..you get there by START...RUN..type in MSCONFIG...click on the boot.ini tab..

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Every time that I have booted up the new installation nothing that I can see has happened that shouldn't. No blue screens or hangs.
I wasn't sure which installation you wanted this screenshot to come from so I got both:
Posted Image
And then I saw that there was no BOOT.INI tab in the new installation, so I guess you didn't want that one right?
Posted Image

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm not sure what you did...the boot.ini should show 2 XP OS's to choose from..
I am extremely busy right now and for the next couple of days..my clients go to the head of the line..I'll get back to you as soon as I can...

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
No problem, I understand what you mean.
I'm going to abandon that 80 gig IDE drive and use one of the other SATA drives like you said.

ADDENDUM
I've got windows installed on one of my other SATA drives, and like you said its not the one with the swap file on it. Actually I unplugged all other drives to do the installation. No drivers installed yet, but so far no crashes or hangs.
I'm going to use the newest possible drivers for this installation.

I do have one question though. When I first insert the XP cd down on the bottom it says "Press F6 if you need to install third party RAID SATA drivers". What I don't know is if this applys to me.

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 12 April 2007 - 07:35 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
If you were able to install on your hdd just fine then no it does not apply. That is for pepole to where the SATA HDD or RAID drivers are not compatible with the generic drivers. Or for those that want to install the 3rd party drivers I think you need a floppy do preform that step.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just install 1 driver at a time..play around awhile...no crashs or hangs install second driver...play around some more...keep adding drivers until you get a system hang then we will know what driver is causing the grief..
if the mobo and bios didn't support SATA you would have had to put them in when the install asked (F 6)...since it did install you don't have to do this step...

look here about the order of drivers to install...pick the one thats closest to your setup...

Edited by happyrck, 13 April 2007 - 10:32 AM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
The general consensus I'm getting is
chipset--->directx 9--->everything else
Basically from what I've seen nobody seems to agree what order to install drivers in after that.
Oh well, I'll be installing the sections of the chipset drivers one by one anyway.

And what do you mean by "play around"? I can't install any programs before completing this installation process according to these quotes from this thread:

When you fresh installed XP did you install the motherboard and other drivers then SP2 (or is SP2 included with your XP CD) plus the rest of the updates before installing any other programs other than anti-virus/firewall? You seem to have a corrupted installation that is further hampered by installing certain programs before they should be.

I would start fresh and install known good drivers in the correct order (motherboard, graphics, sound, Ethernet/modem) before installing updates, anti-virus and a bunch of programs.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
after the OS ... then mobo drivers...video drivers..directx 9c...firewall and antivirus...don't get all the updates just yet...there are 70 plus and one of them may cause you problems...then install 1 of your games..play with it for awhile to test the stability of the system..

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
So basically I'm just letting it idle in between driver installations. Would playing the sample music that comes with windows be a bad thing? Even though I can't hear it at least my computer wont be just plain idling.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
after getting all the drivers installed load a game that used to crash or hang your system and play it...