Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unstable operating system

• Please log in to reply

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Got this while playing some music.
Posted Image

EDIT I'm going on vacation for a month so I wont be able to use this computer for a while. Perhaps when I get back I can resurrect this thread.

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 18 December 2006 - 08:19 AM.

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I'm finally back from winter break!

Got a stop error message during the shut down process last night 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x806350C1, 0xB7B03B28, 0x00000000)

Also I would like to ask if this might be a hard drive problem. Before this I couldn't even install windows (it said it was unable to locate operating system) I downloaded the XP boot disk from bootdisk.com because I saw this solution in another thread. What I did then was erase my Master Boot Record on the drive, then I was magically able to install XP! My question here is: was there something else I was supposed to do after erasing the MBR? Using that XP Bootdisk was really confusing so I'm not sure.

Also have any of you heard of this program called Error Killer? LINK It seems very attractive to me and my desperate situation.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Got two more BSODs

0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0x00000000, 0xB761ACBC, 0x00000000)
and
0x000000C2 (0x00000003, 0x84132180, 0x853DC800, 0x853DC780)

Its looking like I'm just going to try reinstalling windows, unless you guys have anything to say about that XP Bootdisk thing.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903251

Check that out and also this:

http://www.anti-spy....fltmgr.sys.html , http://www.mydllfile...555/fltmgr.html

post back

-OCM770-

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I'd rather reinstall my operating system than mess with my registry. And PC MightyMax is requiring me to buy it. It also doesn't seem to like ANY of the shortcuts on my desktop, and I'm pretty sure they all work. Also can anybody tell me whether or not Errorkiller is legit and if I missed something when using the XP Bootdisk?

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I think I may have found the solution to my problem but I need confirmation from you guys!

This will take a moment so please take a journey with me...

As I may have mentioned before, I used XP Bootdisk from bootdisk.com to delete my Master Boot Record and then my previous problem with installing windows was fixed.
But then that installation of windows was really unstable.
I was in the recovery console accidentally when trying to repair my installation of windows when I saw a command that looked familiar. So being the curious cat I am, I typed it in to see what would happen and this is what I got:
Posted Image
Now I'm no genius when it comes to computers but I'm starting to suspect that I've installed windows with NO MBR. Now that would be sure to cause problems.... maybe.

Could not having a master boot record be the source of my problems?
Please give me your thoughts on this.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
OK I got another STOP 0x00000050 error, so I guess I'll try what is suggested in the first link you gave me.
Posted Image
BTW I really appreciate you guys sticking with me through this.

Would be nice if I could have some input for my last post though.

13thWhiteboy

13thWhiteboy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey! it sounds like your having the same problems as me... man the best I can figure it is Windows blows chunks... but it works... if that makes any sense. I read a good joke on this site you might like, "Computers are like Air Conditioners, they work great untill you open Windows". :whistling: Ive reinstalled Windows 5x, and every time I have different problems. People keep telling me different things to try and I keep getting different problems. Ive been going throught the same steps as the "GEEKS" have suggested to you and I still cant get the [bleep] thing to work... oh well ill just keep tryin... Thanx to the "GEEKS", people like me would be lost without your advise! To you_silly_mortals hope it works out for you!

Edited by 13thWhiteboy, 23 January 2007 - 04:28 AM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Everytime I look at your stop errors it it always something different

remove all soundcards, usb ports and everything else but the mouse, keyboard and video card. make sure they are unplugged from the mobo. If you do not get a BSOD, than we will have to work from the ground up.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello you_silly_mortals...

Look in C:\Windows\System32 and see if you can find the file vcredist_x86.exe. Is it there?

wannabe1

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Hmm, nope. Its not there.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download and install this Microsoft Redistributable.

This should get some of the errors.

Let me know the results.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I ran the .exe but I never actually got a message saying that it was completed. Some bar just filled up really fast and then the window disappeared. If this was supposed to replace that file that you told me to look for, it's still not there.

Oh well, I guess I'll reboot just in case it did work.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just run it for a while. If you still get errors, let it get a few and then send me a fresh WinAudit report so I can see what's generating them. Reboot several times before sending the new report.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
OK I got four BSODs here they are:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
They're also chronological if that matters at all.
wannabe1 I'll get that log to you after some REAL reboots.